My first forest

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
https://bonsainut.com/threads/your-first-forrest.25566/

Share it!

Other than the moss being symmetrical, Id say it's pretty nice!

I'll bet you can adjust your trail a bit, with smaller rock particles, kill that symmetry, and really make this pop.

Flat top trees? Could work!

Nice.

Sorce

Thanks, Sorce. Yeah, I’m using those stones just as a placeholder because I didn’t want it to just be muck while I decide what to do. I considered bonsai soil for the path because it looks like a forest floor, but I don’t think it would stay in place and might wash out during watering. I might make the path a little wider by cutting into one of the mounds to avoid symmetry and insert a natural boulder.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't see the symetry as being a product of the gap. The group on the right has fewer trees and should have less visual weight. Shorten it a bit and thin it some.

I think the gap is just a bit too much of a change from the other gaps when looking at the negative space.

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't see the symetry as being a product of the gap. The group on the right has fewer trees and should have less visual weight. Shorten it a bit and thin it some.

I think the gap is just a bit too much of a change from the other gaps when looking at the negative space.

Ah, gotcha. Yes, I will shorten a tad because I’d like to keep the Scalene Triangle intact with the canopy. Thanks for the tip!

willhopper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
13DBEDCF-D324-4154-A707-A2334ED5F4FA.jpeg So, I thinned the right side a bit, shortened it some and I added a little moss to the left mound so that it narrows the path and cuts down on the “roundness” of the mound. I think the right side still needs thinning but I’m going to wait until I have some of my club members look at it and critique it.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice first forest. You could use smaller pebbles to make the scale look better.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, it’s five and four, it’s just the angle of the second photo. The left side is dominant with the lead No. 1 tree.
The next repotting think about turning it a bit so it photographs all the trees. These are all just refinement points. I wish my first forest was as good. I wasted years on it.

Top Bottom