My first go at it. Blue point juniper, it was hard to Invision this from the original nursery stock. But here I go.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've got a BP juni that I'm training as a formal upright. Unfortunately I didn't keep foliage close to trunk. Fortunately it is back budding. Stuck it in ground and will revisit in a couple years.

What style are you going for? Since you wired during the growing season, keep a close eye for digging in. Looks like you didn't wrap too tight which is good. Watch out for girdling on the trunk where your wire makes a complete wrap around it.
Welcome to the addiction.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like my birds nest spruce.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
I've got a BP juni that I'm training as a formal upright. Unfortunately I didn't keep foliage close to trunk. Fortunately it is back budding. Stuck it in ground and will revisit in a couple years.

What style are you going for? Since you wired during the growing season, keep a close eye for digging in. Looks like you didn't wrap too tight which is good. Watch out for girdling on the trunk where your wire makes a complete wrap around it.

Being my first attempt, not to sure.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good first attempt. You need to practice on your wiring....it's inconsistent. Sometimes two smaller wires will bend and hold better than just one large wire to keep branches in place.. Also make sure your juniper gets full sun. If not it will get leggy.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It great you are out there trying. The wre application looks a bit loose and there seems to be some wire getting caught underneath other wires. There is a free Colin Lewis video on Craftsy that is a great introduction to wiring. Let this go for now. In future look to apply move exaggerated bends and movement.

Reaction score
It great you are out there trying. The wre application looks a bit loose and there seems to be some wire getting caught underneath other wires. There is a free Colin Lewis video on Craftsy that is a great introduction to wiring. Let this go for now. In future look to apply move exaggerated bends and movement.
Thanks for the advise. And yes Im very inpatient and I hope this hobby helps

Top Bottom