My first Juniper - Advice

imluisnunes

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello guys, this is my first post here :)

I recently brought home a 19-year-old Juniper Itoigawa from a local nursery on the outskirts of Lisbon, Portugal.

Since then I have pruned it a bit as there was a lot of density in the inner foliage and almost no light reaching some spots.

I would like to get your advice and feedback on the following if possible:

1. I've seen lately some signs of yellowing on the little stems of the foliage, is this normal? is it just the process of them turning into little branches? (photo 3)
2. The trunk has very old bark in some parts, but it also has this buds sticking out, what are they? Should I treat the trunk bark or leave it like this? (photo 4)
3. Any advice on styling this tree?

Thanks!!

Attachments

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Yellow seems normal.

Nubs can grow into shoots or roots.

Put it into an unglazed pot!

Sorce

Eckhoffw

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love this tree! I wouldn’t to too much more to this. Healthy and already has a nice design IMO. 👍

imluisnunes

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello guys, I want to clean the trunk bark to make it reddish, but it's difficult to do with all those pointy nubs that you can see in the picture, should I circle around them or is it safe to remove them? All the junipers I see have pretty much flat trunks..

Attachments

Clicio

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hello guys, I want to clean the trunk bark to make it reddish, but it's difficult to do with all those pointy nubs that you can see in the picture, should I circle around them or is it safe to remove them? All the junipers I see have pretty much flat trunks..
Bem vindo, Luis.
Nubs could turn into branches in the future.
If you are sure you will not need them...
Glad to know there are bonsai nurseries near Lisbon!
Sorte com seu bonsai!

imluisnunes

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys, I went and cleaned up the trunk and the trunk roots as well, they were full of greenish stuff, my question is, is it ok to leave them like this or should they be more covered with soil?

IMG_6427.jpg

Shibui

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some of the smaller roots could die if they dry out but the thicker ones should be OK.
Do you like the look of it? To me it looks way too spidery so I would cover them up at least for a few years until they get much thicker and look better. Roots seem to get thicker quicker if they are buried.

imluisnunes

Seedling
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on the look, probably could look better with soil covering it although it will be a big bump of soil, can I just add soil to it to cover? if so what type would you recommend?

Shibui

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree that it will look better with those skinny roots covered. In the short term just slope the soil up from the edge of the pot to the trunk. The mound may keep washing away so just keep adding more as needed. Some people add a collar ( a cut down plastic pot can work well) to contain the soil. Long term solution would be to plant it lower in the pot and maybe spread those roots out as more lateral rather than vertical as they are now.
Use similar soil to what is in the pot if you have it.

imluisnunes

Seedling
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan, thanks for the feedback, I really don't know what type of soil the tree currently sits in as I bought it recently, from the pics what similar soil would you recommend?

Shibui

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
i would just add more of my normal bonsai potting soil but for what you are doing it probably won't matter much. If you don't have a favorite bonsai mix just use a good quality general potting mix to top up at this stage.
You should do some research to find out what options you have for bonsai potting mix over there. At some stage you are going to have to repot this tree and change the soil. Better to plan now than leave it to the last minute.

Top Bottom