My first juniper... that lived.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is my oldest bonsai (I’ve only been at for about 4 years), so it’s very special to me for this reason. I’d bought a few nursery junipers - 2 chinensis and one procumbens. I really had no idea what I was doing or where to even begin so I ended up with some Charlie Brown Pom-Pom Christmas trees, which I had the audacity to be proud of...

All but this one died within the month.

This is the survivor.
Over the last couple years as I’ve gained a slightly better understanding, I’ve taken a few steps to correct the mistakes that I made.
Today I tried to tackle the skinny, straight, boring trunk. *I am aware of my less than perfect wiring skills* I tried the double wire with my thickest gauge but it still wasn’t enough so I improvised a bit. All in all, I think it’s an improvement.
Next year, after the wire comes off, it’s going in the ground.

I’ve gotten a lot of really helpful information as far as wiring goes in this thread. So I think that when I take the time I’ll be able to clean it up a bit.

But, I’m open to any more advice or comments!

Thanks!!!42AE3321-D184-4DD5-9855-C1EF2D63A66C.jpegBCD347BA-5D0A-450C-BFD4-326CEF4BC3DE.jpeg

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I didn’t have time to finish the apex earlier.
I also didn’t realize that when I bent the trunk, one of the upper branches went vertical. So I fixed that.
Minor tweaks And apex wire.
24138E3B-E0A8-4F33-9B78-280A32AA01F3.jpeg
Oh, also any advice, critique, whatever is welcome!!!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next year enough may not be for trunk/branches to set. Direction added to trunk so much better! Idea to put in ground very good;).

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats on keeping it alive. But.. Stop fiddling.

The tree is growing, but it is not showing healthy growth. I would just let the tree be a tree for a year at least, maybe even two. You will see a distinct difference in the foliage, indicating return to health.

If you do replant: You have now the main roots "up in the air". I would seriously recommend covering them up in the current stage of developmen, or risk loosing them

Tom29

Sapling
Reaction score
I would personally let the tree do it’s things for a year or two but feed heavily through growing season, then sit back and do some further styling.

Unless I buy a specimen juniper I always do this as it will strengthen the tree and give you more to work with when it comes to styling, once your happy with it you can ease off the feeding and start maintaining the tree

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i bet the pot ize is decent. juniper dont like wet feet and they say to downsize the pot size to help with it.

it does look like it need to fill out for awhile but cool shape.

i never wired anything and a new chinesis i got has decent shape.
i tied a roll of ducttape with fishing line to one branch to promote some airflow only.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Next year enough may not be for trunk/branches to set. Direction added to trunk so much better! Idea to put in ground very good;).
Or Place in a plastic pond basket or crate, spanghum moss and or pea shingle bottom of basket.. or put in ground and place a tile underneath to grow the trunk

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i tied a roll of ducttape with fishing line to one branch to promote some airflow only.
EF2D8F7E-0741-4B98-BC46-47EFCBE8517B.gif

i bet the pot ize is decent. juniper dont like wet feet and they say to downsize the pot size to help with it.
Indeed, I have since lost at least two junipers to over-potting. This pot may be a tad small aesthetically, but it fit the root ball so I went with it.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Congrats on keeping it alive. But.. Stop fiddling.

...let the tree be a tree for a year at least, maybe even two.
“Stop fiddling” is probably the most me-specific advice I could get. I’ve always been a fiddler, I’ve ruined countless paintings by not knowing when to leave it alone lol.
Not to mention the many trees that had died from my fiddling.
But anyways, that’s the plan. I aim to leave it be until the wires can come off then put it in the ground and let it do it’s thing for at least a couple years.

Top Bottom