My first Mame?

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dug this little guy about a month ago. I thought I had killed it by letting it dry out. But it made a rebound and is looking alot better. It was growing in my moms yard and been cut down many times. When I seen it I had to dig it. These things sure dry out quick.
Any thoughts?20220511_163005.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I dug this little guy about a month ago. I thought I had killed it by letting it dry out. But it made a rebound and is looking alot better. It was growing in my moms yard and been cut down many times. When I seen it I had to dig it. These things sure dry out quick.
Tough species are great to start with because they can survive.
Small pots are always hard to manage because they dry out so quick. You've made it even harder because terracotta dries out even faster than most pots. Looks like you have the pot sitting in a water tray to help keep it damp. That can work well but too much water can cause roots to drown. Some plants cope with extra water better than others.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I keep my mame in a tray with some substrate (soil) in it to hold moisture but not submerge the bottom of the pots. When they are growing vigorously they can send roots out the bottom of the pots and into the substrate. I learned this method from Eric on bonsaify.com, he has some videos about it on his YouTube channel.

28134C96-EBB2-4441-9772-BD967192ADAF.jpeg
These three are Kishu juniper.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tough species are great to start with because they can survive.
Small pots are always hard to manage because they dry out so quick. You've made it even harder because terracotta dries out even faster than most pots. Looks like you have the pot sitting in a water tray to help keep it damp. That can work well but too much water can cause roots to drown. Some plants cope with extra water better than others.
Thanks for the reply. I have a drip tray these set in. 2 of these little pots is about all I can set in there. They get water in the morning setting in the tray with about 1/4 inch of water by the end of the day thay are in need of water. I take them out in the evening until the next morning. I do need some better pots that will be next on the list for these 2. I'm having fun with these 2 I sure am glad they are tough

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I keep my mame in a tray with some substrate (soil) in it to hold moisture but not submerge the bottom of the pots. When they are growing vigorously they can send roots out the bottom of the pots and into the substrate. I learned this method from Eric on bonsaify.com, he has some videos about it on his YouTube channel.

View attachment 435544
These three are Kishu juniper.
These look nice. I have watched some of his vids i believe i will set them up in a tray like yours tomorrow and hopefully give them a better place to live

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are they?

Sorce

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Got them setting in some substrate now so they aren't just setting in water. Next is new pots20220512_162113.jpg20220512_162107.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Really nice

I want to get into these smaller sized bonsai. Will definitely need to go the tray route, plus shade, due to our summer heat

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Really nice

I want to get into these smaller sized bonsai. Will definitely need to go the tray route, plus shade, due to our summer heat
I think I got these 2 figured out. It was definitely a learning curve for me keeping these little one's alive. Whats hard for me is finding something that small to turn into something that size tree.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First one is a rose of some sort. It grows wild around here the last one is a privet.
Probably Rosa multiflora. It was used as a root stock for other roses, but has taken over in a lot of places - definitely invasive.

I'm doing a mame one too ;)

I need to take some new pics of mine - I'm on number two - the first was eaten by a squirrel I think.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not sure of the name of the rose. The ones around here kinda grow as ground cover, the flowers are about the size of a quarter a pinkish red.
The other one is just privet

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not sure of the name of the rose. The ones around here kinda grow as ground cover, the flowers are about the size of a quarter a pinkish red.
The other one is just privet
If they are pink they could be the native Virginia rose or Carolina rose.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tomorrow I will get a pic of them. They are in bloom right now. I got a bank I dont like to mow so I just let them grow in hopes they will take over the bank and keep the weeds down. I know that's the lazy way :)

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The rose got 2 runners clipped they were about 8 inches long. Can't believe I have captured these alive even though it's almost 100 outside.20220615_190505.jpg

Top Bottom