My first real one :-)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, did you made the trip allready? :p

Time for some pruning I'd say.
View attachment 191563
I wouldn't prune now. It's counterproductive at this point. Pruning leaves should wait until the leaves harden off and stems lignify. That will probably be next month for you from the look of the tree. Also, one of the basic practices with JM is to pinch out the end bud on shoots pretty soon after those new shoots begin extending. That keeps the tree inbounds and forces shorter internodes on growth...You kind of missed the window for that this year, as the april photos show those shoots extending.

This isn't a big deal, just makes the tree more compact and sets up tighter growth down the road.

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't prune now. It's counterproductive at this point. Pruning leaves should wait until the leaves harden off and stems lignify. That will probably be next month for you from the look of the tree. Also, one of the basic practices with JM is to pinch out the end bud on shoots pretty soon after those new shoots begin extending. That keeps the tree inbounds and forces shorter internodes on growth...You kind of missed the window for that this year, as the april photos show those shoots extending.

This isn't a big deal, just makes the tree more compact and sets up tighter growth down the road.
Thank you for your advice. My English let me down a bit there. I meant pinching instead of pruning. But as you said, might have missed that window as well...

Yesterday I added solid fertiliser. This is a mix made at the nursery. I've been adviced to lay a thin layer of fertiliser at a monthly base.

20180511_113054[1].jpg
20180511_115943[1].jpg

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, it's been a while.
Summer is crazy hot over here. Temp goes up to 30°C/86°F
Not a drop of rain to be seen..

Al went well till I got home from holidays.
I've found my acer in this state:
15072018.jpg
Can anyone point out a cause?
Too much sun? (got moved because they found it easier to water...)
Too much or not enough watering?
....?

What should be my next moves on this?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ouch thats sunburn!
To less water is more likely than to much
Keep in the shade and keep the soil moist and wait for it to grow new leaves

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maples hate to dry out. Full sun and a lack of water is a bad combination for them. I know first hand. Get it into shade and pour the water to it. I stripped all the dead leaves off mine and is is recouperating well.

Top Bottom