My First Real Yamadori

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
John will probably laugh for me posting so quickly. I say first "real" yamadori because I have a collected larch but its really more of a sapling than a yamadori. It's a RMJ with full scale foliage, and some interesting natural deadwood. I'm really excited that John pointed this one out to me and I see a bright future for it.

Besides the RMJ, I picked up a sick (literally, not sick as in cool) engelmann spruce for $20. It's worth a gamble in my mind.

Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good for you, Tom. RMJs are one of my favorite subjects and I like yours alot. Good luck with it (and the spruce- it's nice, too).

Thanks Dave, I was thinking if you and your trees when I got this. It's a crappy photo, I think the tree is better in person. The spruce was on the 90% sell down table and it looks to have buds on the end of the browned growth, I think it will pull through.

The work area is at NE bonsai in the greenhouse where they have the workshops. It's pretty nice and in mid renovation.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
John will probably laugh for me posting so quickly. I say first "real" yamadori because I have a collected larch but its really more of a sapling than a yamadori. It's a RMJ with full scale foliage, and some interesting natural deadwood. I'm really excited that John pointed this one out to me and I see a bright future for it.

Besides the RMJ, I picked up a sick (literally, not sick as in cool) engelmann spruce for $20. It's worth a gamble in my mind.

Thanks!

View attachment 40126

View attachment 40127

View attachment 40128

Yepp!!...saw this RMJ the other day, June pointed it out to me...I almost grabbed it!!;)...nice score!!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Tom

Love the RMJ...Can't wait to see it progress.

As far as the Spruce. I am almost sure it is a fungal disease. Isolate it from all other trees as soon as possible. Whenever, the new buds and growth are dead, that is a very bad sign. I would spray it with copper fungicide. Also, if you cut the dead off, wipe down the scissors in between every cut with alcohol and wipe them dry. Also, completely clean all tools with alcohol before going to another tree.

Rob

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
[H][/H]
Hi Tom

Love the RMJ...Can't wait to see it progress.

As far as the Spruce. I am almost sure it is a fungal disease. Isolate it from all other trees as soon as possible. Whenever, the new buds and growth are dead, that is a very bad sign. I would spray it with copper fungicide. Also, if you cut the dead off, wipe down the scissors in between every cut with alcohol and wipe them dry. Also, completely clean all tools with alcohol before going to another tree.

Rob

Thanks Rob, Hitoshi said he had just sprayed it, and to spray again in a couple weeks. I'm keeping it a little isolated as can be in the yard for now. The buds at the end appear to be viable so we shall see.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
[H][/H]

Thanks Rob, Hitoshi said he had just sprayed it, and to spray again in a couple weeks. I'm keeping it a little isolated as can be in the yard for now. The buds at the end appear to be viable so we shall see.

Tom, that's a beautiful RMJ! Congrats on you first yamadori! ;) I hope the Ezo makes it too!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Any rough styling plans yet.. Different angles, tilts etc. ?

Rob

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any rough styling plans yet.. Different angles, tilts etc. ?

Rob

Very general, as I spent only a bit of time studying it this weekend. The wave-like deadwood curves in at the soil level and makes the base look weak. I may eithe pot deeper, or tilt to the trees left to try and hide it. As for styling, I really want pads to come out and around the Jin on the right side of the above picture, and have the apex over the live vein. Kind of like Dave's...

Dave's RMJ

I know his has more character but I'd like the pads and foliage to look like that.

What are your thoughts? I can get more pictures of the sides this week, but John and I both agreed this is the better front as the back of this is much less interesting.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice.

If this is mine, I will be very tempted to tanuki graft another RMJ at the right side to stabilize it visually. Just a mad scientists option. ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another option is to root graft higher up then chop the lower portion.

Or do a Kimura-ish move and separate the lower live vein portion from the dead wood and bend it. Very advanced technique, something you might need a help on.

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These are possibilities Dario and I will consider them.

Also, the real plan is to let it grow for two years and be healthy enough to start training. This was repotted this spring and was a bit loose in the pot, which is why you can see I stabilized it with the extra wire and chopstick.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I urge you to decide on the route you will take sooner (if possible).

For example...IF you choose the root graft, you can start that next year and should not impact your trees health development while the graft is "taking". Making better use of time. JMHO.

Some of this may require tandem approach as well...i.e. the Kimura move may benefit on additional root graft also.

Again, just things to ponder upon and consider.

Good luck!

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To be quite honest, I was being fair to say that all possibilities were being considered, but i have a hard time thinking I can do much better than nature has with this tree. Any drastic work like root grafting and chopping would really need to be a necessity, which as of now I don't see it that way. Thanks for the link, I read his blog but had forgotten this post.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This is a great tree. Good idea giving it time to grow, it looks like it hasn't really gained the strength it needs following collection.

Please don't tell me the 75 on the tag is the price! I mean, that would be an incredible deal for you, but if thats what a tree like this is fetching, the bonsai market in North America must be tanking hard.

Top Bottom