my first scots pine. what do you think?

redox1856

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all. This is my first attempt at a scots pine. Got it for $20. Any suggestions would be appriciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 37F6DFE9-A596-43AE-A9F3-31A1699E1EFF.jpeg
    37F6DFE9-A596-43AE-A9F3-31A1699E1EFF.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 189
  • E5FDEDD2-F810-4662-8717-FCBD3E34408E.jpeg
    E5FDEDD2-F810-4662-8717-FCBD3E34408E.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 30FF929C-716E-4DF3-8D12-10A7E9A012B6.jpeg
    30FF929C-716E-4DF3-8D12-10A7E9A012B6.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 184
  • 4EF6D655-BE7F-48B3-9CFE-7EEA480C5916.jpeg
    4EF6D655-BE7F-48B3-9CFE-7EEA480C5916.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 0B4571B9-E3F2-41D8-A909-09212C33C8D3.jpeg
    0B4571B9-E3F2-41D8-A909-09212C33C8D3.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 154

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The first thing that sticks out to me is the upward grow, which screams young new growth. If you want to help make a branch look older, add some smag and have the tips lower.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello all. This is my first attempt at a scots pine. Got it for $20. Any suggestions would be appriciated. Thank you
How were the roots when you repotted? How long do you expect the recovery to take? What is your plan to get foliage in closer to the trunk for design purposes?
Your first step will be to stabilize and strengthen the tree before further work. Right!

redox1856

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i didnt touch the roots. scraped off the top to expose the nabari and it fit in the pot. i was going to give it till spring to touch the roots. i don't know how to get the foliage closer.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i didnt touch the roots. scraped off the top to expose the nabari and it fit in the pot. i was going to give it till spring to touch the roots. i don't know how to get the foliage closer.
How did you get it into a new pot if you didn't touch the roots? What is the soil mix? It looks like it might be nursery soil- which if fine, but now you put it into a pot that it will drown in winter.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First. Do not mess with it in the spring.
If it still lives late summer is the time for repotting.
Get it into a colander.
It will love you.
The year after being in there it should be ready to chase the foliage down the branches through cutting the shoots back to the previous years growth.
It will bud on bare wood.
Then after all of that,see what you have and give it an initial styling.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nive tree to start off with. Am on my cellphone so cannot clearly see the foliage but.. are you certain it is scots pine?

As others have indicated.. give the tree some free time. They can be very tricky when.it comes to overworking. You probably would get away with further wiring and removing some.more of the duplex branches. But when I get the "i could probably get away with" feeling, that is when I start making things a long process.

For bonsai optimal health is needed. Once a tree weakens you need years to get it back and this will set you back more than waiting a year for the next step.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Keep it in full sun and on the fairly dry side. It looks quite tall so I'd find some way of anchoring it into the pot so it doesn't rock or topple over in strong winds. Unstable growing conditions can adversely affect the growth of fragile new roots.

The key indicator before further work is candle elongation next Summer. If you see several inches of growth that hardens off successfully then start transition to inorganic. This should be done over a few years and be predicated on what you see, ie colour and candle length. If it's dull or it's barely pushed any new growth then skip a year with no pruning - just sun, watered appropriately and regular fertilizer - every 2 weeks if soluble during the growing season.

1. Did it have any white, fluffy stuff round its roots when you transferred it to its current pot?

2. How many needles are there per sheath / bundle?

redox1856

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How did you get it into a new pot if you didn't touch the roots? What is the soil mix? It looks like it might be nursery soil- which if fine, but now you put it into a pot that it will drown in winter.
it was close to a slip potting. i didnt have to remove the bottom soil. took about an inch off the top. i pot it in some good soil on the bottom and sides. most of it is nursery soil. i live in souther california so no real winter

redox1856

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First. Do not mess with it in the spring.
If it still lives late summer is the time for repotting.
Get it into a colander.
It will love you.
The year after being in there it should be ready to chase the foliage down the branches through cutting the shoots back to the previous years growth.
It will bud on bare wood.
Then after all of that,see what you have and give it an initial styling.
thank you

redox1856

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nive tree to start off with. Am on my cellphone so cannot clearly see the foliage but.. are you certain it is scots pine?

As others have indicated.. give the tree some free time. They can be very tricky when.it comes to overworking. You probably would get away with further wiring and removing some.more of the duplex branches. But when I get the "i could probably get away with" feeling, that is when I start making things a long process.

For bonsai optimal health is needed. Once a tree weakens you need years to get it back and this will set you back more than waiting a year for the next step.
good advise thank you

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
it was close to a slip potting. i didnt have to remove the bottom soil. took about an inch off the top. i pot it in some good soil on the bottom and sides. most of it is nursery soil. i live in souther california so no real winter
Last try to help you here... It will drown in that pot with nursery soil. Snow or 50 degree winter weather doesn't matter. Believe me or don't- if you don't do anything to address this now your tree is on borrowed time.

redox1856

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last try to help you here... It will drown in that pot with nursery soil. Snow or 50 degree winter weather doesn't matter. Believe me or don't- if you don't do anything to address this now your tree is on borrowed time.
AppleBonsai i am sorry if i came off rude or argumentative. i truly appreciate the advice. do you have a suggestion as to what i should plant it in. i have read not to mess with the roots. thank you in advance

Top Bottom