My first Shohin Juniper

clipper79

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've managed to get myself into the art of bonsai earlier this year, and have been experimenting with different types of tropical plants since I'm living in sunny rainy Malaysia.

This would be my first ever juniper attempt and have been in the pot for almost 6 months now. I still haven't a clue how to wire and style it, as their foliage seems to behave rather differently compared to other small trees. Some advice would be great to see how else I can shape this better in the future. Some pointers would be great.

20220702_125643-01.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've found J. procumbens difficult as shohin because they have coarse foliage and growth.
Like all shohin, pruning is the key to maintaining size.
It appears you are happy to have a small tree with thin trunk so you'll need to start trimming the longer shoots. Trimming will make the branches produce more side shoots so there will eventually be more to make branches with.
Looks like you've wired up all existing branches without any regard for a style or shape. That's OK for a start but you'll really need to decide on a shape for this one before you can start to fulfil the design. Have you actually bent any of those branches yet or just put wires on because bonsai have wires?
Looks like too many branches competing for space on the left and overly long trunk on the right that's not sure whether to be branch or trunk. Both can be addressed with cutters and bending.

clipper79

Seedling
Reaction score
I've found J. procumbens difficult as shohin because they have coarse foliage and growth.
Like all shohin, pruning is the key to maintaining size.
It appears you are happy to have a small tree with thin trunk so you'll need to start trimming the longer shoots. Trimming will make the branches produce more side shoots so there will eventually be more to make branches with.
Looks like you've wired up all existing branches without any regard for a style or shape. That's OK for a start but you'll really need to decide on a shape for this one before you can start to fulfil the design. Have you actually bent any of those branches yet or just put wires on because bonsai have wires?
Looks like too many branches competing for space on the left and overly long trunk on the right that's not sure whether to be branch or trunk. Both can be addressed with cutters and bending.
I've bent some, but I'm so afraid to snap them. I've brought down the main one for a semi-cascade, but I guess it isn't working. Will have to look at the branches on the left again, perhaps getting rid of some. Also the large shoots which are new. Hopefully like you mentioned will encourage more branching. Thanks again for your guidance. Will continue to learn more step by step.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Semi cascade is a good aim but I don't think the long, even curve looks very natural. I like to see more changes of direction as real trees have but you are welcome to make trees that please you.
Also some conflict between lots of upright growth on one side but a cascade trunk on the other. I always try to imagine what caused the tree to grow like that - its story. A good bonsai should tell everyone who sees it the story of its life. It will evoke memories of places or feelings of an event where a similar tree was growing.
There's a saying - Don't make your tree look like a bonsai. Try to make your bonsai look like a tree.
Light, wind or other factors that cause one part of a tree to grow sideways are also likely to affect the rest of the tree so I think we'd rarely see a real tree going in different directions like this one.

Junipers are usually very flexible and can be bent quite a lot, especially when young and thin. You do need to take some care if bending in the growing season as sometimes a branch can die even though it did not snap. It seems that bark is not fixed well while cambium is growing rapidly in spring. Later in summer and winter juniper can be bent fearlessly. Not sure how that relates to Malasia???
We find it very helpful if members include a location in their personal profile so it appears at each post and reminds us where in the world each person is located. Saves having to remember or scroll back through to find where you are.

Top Bottom