My first spruce

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
Found this little seedling in my dads yard around 10 months ago. Obviously I want the trunk to be much larger than it currently is and because I dont have a good area to plant it in the ground I will make a box and repot at the appropriate time. My main question is do I repot in late winter? Also, Should I prune anything off? like those branches on the inside of the curves that will not be wanted in the design or should I just leave it alone because more branches equals thicker trunk faster? I did a little prunning a couple months ago and you can see the first branches new growth. I should have cut it closer to the auxiliary bud because if I was ready to build the branches by making the cut where I did I feel would have put me back (time wise) since I wasted trees energy since it will need to be cut back further down next time for better ramification when if done properly the first time ...

Attachments

• 20191120_190712.jpg
    20191120_190712.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20191120_190634.jpg
    20191120_190634.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 98

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldnt cut anything off so it has foliage to power it thru Repot.

Careful since cutting branches can keep em small and you want your bottom branches biggest. Your tops are going to get larger faster. Resulting in an upside down tree.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, don't cut anything off until the year after the repot. Sorce is right, you need intact growth to power the recovery of the roots.

Eventually, need to remove those inside of the curve branches, but no rush. Until you are close to 75% or more of the final trunk diameter, no need to do much pruning.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice healthy lil tree BTW.

I'd be proud to own it.

Sorce

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
Are these repotted
Positive this is Spruce?:confused:
I'm pretty sure it is and I hope i got it correct since the title of this thread is " my first spruce" And would be hularious if it indeed wasnt a spruce. curious what you think it is

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Are these repotted
I'm pretty sure it is and I hope i got it correct since the title of this thread is " my first spruce" And would be hularious if it indeed wasnt a spruce. curious what you think it is
Where do you live, and are there a lot of these trees around? Looks like a single needle piñon (Pinus monophylla) to me. When things are younger it’s harder to ID. A view of where the needle meets the branch would be helpful. Maybe take some close-ups of foliage of a nearby mature tree and we can help with a more affirmative ID.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Needles/growth habit look much like immature Italian Stone or Aleppo Pine. Maybe/maybe not:confused:.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is not a pine. That is a spruce. Careful taking advice from strangers on the internet 😂

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would be so funny to see mature pine needles grow on this tree🤪!

Top Bottom