My First Stone

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I bought this stone may years ago from Shig and Roy Nagatoshi at an early GSBF convention in Southern California. It was totally natural when I bought it.
The base hasn't been cut. However, I did need to use a rock hammer on the bottom to remove a couple of protrusions so as to make it sit better in the diaza.

Mike

Attachments

• suiseki_1-2rs.jpg
    suiseki_1-2rs.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 106

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I bought this stone may years ago from Shig and Roy Nagatoshi at an early GSBF convention in Southern California. It was totally natural when I bought it.
The base hasn't been cut. However, I did need to use a rock hammer on the bottom to remove a couple of protrusions so as to make it sit better in the diaza.

Mike
Nice Rawk Mike!
What are all the colors that you see on this one? (Camera distorts colors)
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Mike, nice rock.

I am interested in learning more about suiseki.

Your piece has some cool streaks that provide some movement. Have you thought about shaping it more, perhaps breaking up the outside profile at all?

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I look at this rock I see a glacier slowly moving down the rock face.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hello Mike, nice rock.

I am interested in learning more about suiseki.

Your piece has some cool streaks that provide some movement. Have you thought about shaping it more, perhaps breaking up the outside profile at all?

In stone appreciation, the natural form is much much more valuable than anything we can do to "improve" a stone....whether it is shaping or manipulating the surface texture. I guess what I am trying to say is that if man manipulates a stone it loses its value to most people who appreciate stones. If there is an exception it would be what Mike has described doing and that is manipulating the base of the stone to fit in a stand. The most valuable stones are going to be the ones that show the hand of man the least.

I hope that makes sense...

And BTW, I like your stone Mike!
John

Last edited:
Top Bottom