My first Suiseki and Daiza

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this rock on a quick walk on my property while my mom was in town. I’m not a rock hound so I don’t know the rock type. But there is a very large collection of these. I’m going to look much closer for a more convincing image. It was really a quick tutorial for myself to make my first Daiza. It was fun. It’s small. And I like it. There are several things I will tweak on my next. The lighting in my shop is awful and I’ll try to get better shots tomorrow. But I was excited to share.
B590AF84-F53B-43CE-8D35-136AB778449E.jpeg50C5F834-2184-4D84-9302-13D6209534A2.jpeg0C2A85A8-2C40-4CE3-9ED4-9E60E716B50B.jpeg25840780-2020-4FF2-8A72-B6A644CB5B41.jpeg

Last edited:

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like it.
it has a nice shape and movement and an interesting combination of textures.
the Daiza complements it nicely.
at first glance I thought it might be better if it were a little shorter, but I like it as is.
It is hard to really get a feel for things in 2D on a small screen.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it.
it has a nice shape and movement and an interesting combination of textures.
the Daiza complements it nicely.
at first glance I thought it might be better if it were a little shorter, but I like it as is.
It is hard to really get a feel for things in 2D on a small screen.
Thanks. I think you nailed it though. On the next one I’ll make the daiza more shallow and overall less heavy. I’m also going to add a band to the next one. Depending on the rock i find i suppose.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wish I could find some nice rocks :( . Everywhere we go I am always looking on the ground at the rocks. My wife always asks what are you looking at and I tell her rocks......she immediately knows, lol 😁.

That's a nice one for your first go around. Is that walnut? I don't understand how everyone else can find cool rocks except me 🤷‍♂️.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wish I could find some nice rocks :( . Everywhere we go I am always looking on the ground at the rocks. My wife always asks what are you looking at and I tell her rocks......she immediately knows, lol 😁.

That's a nice one for your first go around. Is that walnut? I don't understand how everyone else can find cool rocks except me 🤷‍♂️.
Its hard for me too....mostly river stones, smoothed out by water is what I find.
I think just found a candidate for a future ROR project though....

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Its hard for me too....mostly river stones, smoothed out by water is what I find.
I think just found a candidate for a future ROR project though....
When your landscape is covered in rocks and dirt, you’d think I’d have a heck of a lot more suiseki kicking around my collection!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
When your landscape is covered in rocks and dirt, you’d think I’d have a heck of a lot more suiseki kicking around my collection!
Lol!
I went to CO for a family member's graduation a few years back. It was my first time out that-a-way.....the landscape difference was profound for me.
I was not used to the lack of tall trees everywhere. I'm used to every road being lined with big Oak, Maple, Hickory and Pine trees, among others.
Pikes Peak was cool though!......dispensaries were cool too.....cough, cough.....

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol!
I went to CO for a family member's graduation a few years back. It was my first time out that-a-way.....the landscape difference was profound for me.
I was not used to the lack of tall trees everywhere. I'm used to every road being lined with big Oak, Maple, Hickory and Pine trees, among others.
Pikes Peak was cool though!......dispensaries were cool too.....cough, cough.....
Bet yer' ass!!!! ;) 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀 Lived in Green Mtn. Falls, right at the base of Pikes! No dispensaries back then, people just grew their own!! Yellow and brown all the colors ya' get in fall, though!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol!
Yeah Colorado is a pretty spectacular place. For the landscape and the dispensaries! I may be biased though in saying that New Mexico is amazing. We’ve got quite the elevation and landscape difference from south to northern New Mexico. Our lowest point is six or 700 feet, and our tallest is 12,000. We’ve got the southern tip of the Rockies and landscape similar to the Sonoran desert down south. My climate sits right in between. high desert. An elevation of 7500 feet that doesn’t get a lot of rain, has very cold winters and very hot and dry summers. It’s pretty spectacular though when the monsoons roll in as we are experiencing right now where we get the majority of our rain. NM def gets this rap of being completely dirt covered, and I play in to that. But it’s fucking magic here. Plus that sticky icky was just legalized here, so will have dispensaries popping up all over come January 1. Not that I’m excited about that or anything….

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got this "volcano" I've considered making a Daiza for, but haven't found the time or motivation yet (plus, I haven't researched the process)...

PXL_20210726_165322491.jpg

Last edited:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job! Can you post a picture of the bottom of stand?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice work. You are definitely a skilled woodsmith!!!
Do you have a Cnc?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm guessing you used a router? My dad gave me his router/router table years ago, and I have yet to use it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got this "volcano" I've considered making a Daiza for, but haven't found the time or motivation yet (plus, I haven't researched the process)...

View attachment 388343
Yours is almost Mount Suviaz like. It would be fun to make something for that for sure. For me my research starts with images and maybe some resources explaining peoples methods. But the bulk of my understanding for building things is by trial and error.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like mine is an older crapsman two hander (buried in the shed).

PXL_20210726_223203702.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like mine is an older crapsman two hander (buried in the shed).

View attachment 388368
I have the same one the guy we bought our house from left me a bunch of tools.....junk!

I have a new makita cordless router virgin in the box I plan to use when I get the chance to. But i mainly use my 690 porter cable routers.

Top Bottom