My first Tigerbark

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm brand new to the site and bonsai and just wanted to show some pics of my new tigerbark ficus. I reside in Canada and I have had this ficus for two weeks now with no extra special care to my ficus, but I have read that some people built indoor greenhouses for this tree. is this needed? since I do live in Canada it can get quite cold in the winter and really dry in my home.

Any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• ficus1.jpg
    ficus1.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 38
  • ficus2.jpg
    ficus2.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 28

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a nice looking Ficus tigerbark. They will do fine indoors just keep it watered and let it dry out between waterings, in other words don't keep it wet. It will do better with a good ligth source, supplemental lighting such as a grow light or a good sunny window helps.

Good luck with it and keep her green!

ed

chris38383838

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You won't need to get a greenhouse for a ficus indeed. It'll do well inside. Just make sure you don't keep it above an air-heater because it'll dry out. Sometimes people place their bonsai in a window to provide them with light, but forget that often air-heaters are placed below those windows. If you want your Ficus to be healthier, put it outside when the spring frosts are over in spring, and keep it outside for the summer. At first, put it in a semi-shade area for one week to acclimate it, and then you can put it in the sun.

I don't know where you live in Canada, but eventually if you want to have some zone 6 and 7 trees like japanese maples and japanese pines (white, black or red) or any other tree that needs a dormancy, you might want to think about about a greenhouse or at least a heated box. For example, my trees will bud in two weeks but we still get some -20°C outside, so I have no choice but to have a greenhouse. We've put up a couple of pictures of our club members' installations for winter here. There's not so many details and it's written in french, but it can give you some ideas!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.

Is it also a good idea to mist them in the winter? or just the summer?

Top Bottom