My first time posting, new member

Scott B

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all!

I’ve been dabbling in bonsai for the past two and a half years or so, and having read many posts and learned lots from this website, I figured I should make an account!

I’ve attached pictures of my three ‘best’ (the only photo-worthy ones I have) trees, and any feedback on development and styling are very welcome. I also have several prebonsai and many seedlings, though the seedlings I obviously do not expect to be anything worthwhile for a loooong time!

Finally, I was wondering what books you more experienced people would recommend to further develop my techniques and knowledge. Thanks in advance!

*the maple in the attached pic further below has of course lost its leaves during the winter here in Ireland.DFA4504F-91E0-4205-916E-7E98841D5C8C.jpeg8DBF21BB-B6C6-422C-A093-87B194E0F0C1.jpegFC05032A-69EF-4B6C-A182-6C6AE0D7D91B.jpeg

Scott B

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks a mil! Have added it to the profile anyhow. I’ll have a look into that book. Also if I were to go looking for advice on developing any of these trees, would I be best to go into the forum for that specific species?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea most like to start a topic for each tree and put them in the right section on the forum. Not only is it a good way to get advise on that tree but it will also allow you to keep the trees journey in one place. So in 5-10 years as the tree gets more and more developed one can follow the process from where it was started.

Scott B

Sapling
Reaction score
Perfect, sounds good! Looking forward talking and learning from the community.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like your first tree here, especially the bottom half. What are your plans going forward? I feel the top of the tree needs to be worked and pad development begun on lower branches.

Welcome.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of pine is your first tree? Very interesting... Great trio of trees for a beginner!

Brent

Scott B

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks, and I’m still trying to decide what direction I want to take it, there’s a possibility of lopping off the top except the first two branches and turning it into a cascade. However a few people have also recommended keeping the length and shaping it into a bunjin style. As well as those options I also was given solid advice to wire the second branch up as a new leader and go from there, so to summarise i’ve no idea yet! Any thoughts yourself?

Scott B

Sapling
Reaction score
What kind of pine is your first tree? Very interesting... Great trio of trees for a beginner!

Brent
It’s a Japanese White Pine I believe, I may have thrown myself in at the deep end by buying it as a beginner though hahaha. It’s my first conifer so I’ve been reading a lot into jwp care, it’s stayed healthy so far!
And thank you, I’m proud of them!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank YOU for relinquishing so many good Irishman to the states to set a proper standard for us here!

The toughest dude I know is an Irish Women!

Good to have you here, there's not many of ya!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That first tree, is it a Japanese white pine?

I think your tree is in the first 2 or 3 branches, everything above them, I would discard. But don't do it all in a single cut. Take the top down, maybe 1/3rd at a time, once a year. I also would not attempt a cascade. Go for an informal upright. JWP are difficult to get to cascade. Your base is not really ideal to support a cascade.

Most of your foliage on all your branches is too far from the trunk. If you want to keep this tree taller, you will need to learn single point grafting, and graft new branches using upper growths as scion donor to add branches down lower in the tree.

I like the color of the foliage, no mater what you end up doing with it, it is a nice cultivar of JWP.

Scott B

Sapling
Reaction score
That first tree, is it a Japanese white pine?

I think your tree is in the first 2 or 3 branches, everything above them, I would discard. But don't do it all in a single cut. Take the top down, maybe 1/3rd at a time, once a year. I also would not attempt a cascade. Go for an informal upright. JWP are difficult to get to cascade. Your base is not really ideal to support a cascade.

Most of your foliage on all your branches is too far from the trunk. If you want to keep this tree taller, you will need to learn single point grafting, and graft new branches using upper growths as scion donor to add branches down lower in the tree.

I like the color of the foliage, no mater what you end up doing with it, it is a nice cultivar of JWP.
I’m quite sure that it is, but is there any way to tell for sure?
Thanks for the advice, if I were to reduce the tree down over the seasons i’d probably take the first branch on the right and wire it up into an informal upright shape, maybe continuing with the curvature of the trunk. Either that or use the branch behind the trunk just below that first right branch. If I do this, I suppose i’ll need to try to backbud on the remaining branches to bring the foliage in. If any of that sounds like a bad idea do let me know!

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello ,
If it was mine , I think I will probably do two things.
Reduce his height ( remove about a third at the end )
Give more movement to the branches ( avoid straight and monotonous lines ) .

I had a white pine that looked a little your. unfortunately i lost it because i have probably done too much work closer.

It is very important no to be pressed with this variety .

Maybe for an idea here is the tree

20200109_234716.jpg

Top Bottom