My first time pruning any tree whatsoever

Pjain5768

Seedling
Reaction score
so, recently, we went to Lowe’s and got a juniper. I thought it would be fun to try and prune it into a sort-of-bonsai. And now that I cut all the extra stuff in the way close to the base of the trunk, I have no clue what to do. Any advice?

Thanks!

Attachments

• C5CDD7A1-B096-46FE-837C-1AB337893AC0.jpeg
    C5CDD7A1-B096-46FE-837C-1AB337893AC0.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 4F981493-AAE1-4B02-9D6A-BB1142B356BA.jpeg
    4F981493-AAE1-4B02-9D6A-BB1142B356BA.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 94

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And now that I cut all the extra stuff in the way close to the base of the trunk, I have no clue what to do. Any advice?
:eek:
Glue it back on!
:p

No that ain't that bad!

Looks multiples?
Maybe split em up next summer?

Plant looks good n healthy!

Sorce

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why'd you get rid of everything close to the trunk?! Hopefully It pushes back buds where you removed everything... I would have done the complete opposite, removed the long shoots and kept everything close to the trunk.. like you said though, "...realized I had no clue what I was doing..."

There are gorgeous transformations on this site where nuts have taken material like you have, and turned them into decent bonsai. Try finding a style you like, and "copy" it to an extent. There's a reason good bonsai are good bonsai, they follow certain rules and ratios

AutumnWolf13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First thing to do is go back to Lowes and get another Juniper...LOL!
JK...I did the same thing on my first, only I actually cut even more than you did! It was a four branch with a little poof at the end. I named it Fugly.
You don't need to remove everything close to the trunk, just open it up so you can see the trunk line from the "front" of your tree.

Honestly, as your first Bonsai, your probably not going to win any awards with it, so do what I did... pot it up in a suitable pot (in spring) and learn to keep it alive!
In the meantime, read - reAD - READ! Read about styling and wiring and pots and soil wars. Look at lots of pictures of great bonsai by great bonsai masters. Join a bonsai club, visit a bonsai nursery, maybe take one of their classes.

Better to learn on this $7 nursery Juniper than one you paid several hundred dollars for!
I managed to keep Fugly alive for 3 years, until August 2016, when I had to undergo two surgeries. Fugly just wasn't that important at that time, and died from neglect. Everything worked out OK with the operations, but I wish I still had Fugly around.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
is that a procumbens? Just bought one myself yesterday! second nursery juniper in a month. Lol I I'm only about two months into the game but if I've learned anything from these guys on this site yet, your best bet is to just take care of it at this point and let it recover. Focus on keeping it alive, happy and let it grow but other then that leave it alone for now

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Junipers are tough, even i have a hard time killing them. :D

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
20171122_000142.jpg I think the yellow branches might be possible trunk lines (one or the other). Tip the pot towards the left to bring them upright at repotting time. Layer or cut the rest and jin the heck out of the stubs. Or not. Just my thoughts.

Top Bottom