my first tree - how could it be not a ficus

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This was my first tree. Benjamina if I am not mistaken? No bonsai, I know, but I would sincerely appreciate any styling tips nevertheless. Do you guys see what this tree needs to become a better tree?
IMG_20220117_194109.jpgIMG_20220117_194044.jpgIMG_20220117_194058.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I very much doubt that is a benjamina. The small, crowded leaves look more like Ficus microcarpa which are probably better for bonsai. This type of fig is usually grafted onto bulbous roots to make the mallsai budda belly figs. Not sure if the branches are grafted on this one or not but the regular spacing of branches suggest they could be grafted so watch out for any new shoots that have different leaves.
The trunk has character but it will take some time for the branches to catch up and grow to match the trunk.
I think the first thing would be to encourage those weaker lower branches. I'd try feeding the tree well and giving it the best conditions you can through winter. The upper branches are currently suppressing growth of the 2 lowest. Trimming the upper branches should allow the lower ones to grow more but winter is not the best time unless your tree has excellent conditions and is growing well so you may have to be patient until the spring growth starts.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I very much doubt that is a benjamina. The small, crowded leaves look more like Ficus microcarpa which are probably better for bonsai. This type of fig is usually grafted onto bulbous roots to make the mallsai budda belly figs. Not sure if the branches are grafted on this one or not but the regular spacing of branches suggest they could be grafted so watch out for any new shoots that have different leaves.
The trunk has character but it will take some time for the branches to catch up and grow to match the trunk.
I think the first thing would be to encourage those weaker lower branches. I'd try feeding the tree well and giving it the best conditions you can through winter. The upper branches are currently suppressing growth of the 2 lowest. Trimming the upper branches should allow the lower ones to grow more but winter is not the best time unless your tree has excellent conditions and is growing well so you may have to be patient until the spring growth starts.
Tnx for your reply shibui. It is indeed a microcarpa, my mistake. I have this tree since 2019. It goes outside in spring and returns inside (porch) in autumn. Was always vigourous in growth, mainly in the upper parts. I will trim the upper branches in spring to encourage the lower ones. Can I just cut the upper branches back to 1/3 of their actual length, thus taking away all leaves? Or is that too much? Can a ficus backbud? Can I wire the branches downwards or would that ruin the character?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got its sister; Check the thread as I think many of your questions and concerns are shown there:

These are pretty much always grafted onto a larger leaf variety, which can pop back out of the trunk. Mine has. I am undecided as to which variety I will continue with. In a way I prefer to use the trunks original foliage, as it will be easier to devlop new branches long-term.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tnx LB. Would you suggest chopping back the upper branches in spring?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tnx LB. Would you suggest chopping back the upper branches in spring?
I would first come up with a long-term vision, and then decide what to do.

Chopping the top branches so far that most of the foliage is gone, might affect the graft: The tree could decide to bud back lower and drop the grafts if they are still fairly young.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Can I just cut the upper branches back to 1/3 of their actual length, thus taking away all leaves? Or is that too much? Can a ficus backbud? Can I wire the branches downwards or would that ruin the character?
I was going to say go ahead and chop the upper branches as ficus generally bud really well but @leatherback has pointed out that this is likely to be grafted and pruning can stimulate buds from the trunk instead of the grafted branches so that warning is worth considering. If you are comfortable with making sure any buds from the trunk get removed as soon as they appear pruning should be no problem and is likely to do the tree some good.

Wiring branches down is entirely up to you. It is possible to wire ficus branches down though take extreme care if these are grafted. Grafts are notoriously weak and can break very easily.
I prefer to make my bonsai look like the trees they represent and most real ficus do not seem to have branches that hang down from the trunk. That's the shape of many conifers. The big ficus I see have branches that arch up and out then down to create a large, spreading umbrella canopy. Not sure that this frankenstein tree will be able to be styled in the natural ficus shape so you'll have to just do your best with what you have.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tnx for the feedback Shibui! what do you exactly mean by:
- frankenstein tree? Is it the shape? The possible grafts?
- natural ficus shape?

Greetings

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Frankenstein is just a reference to it being grafted - different trees joined together.

To me natural ficus shape is a thick trunk with buttress roots. Lower branches are thick and arch up and out then sweep down to give a wide spreading crown.
Here are a couple of photos of typical ficus that give an idea of the typical shape ficus grow.
ficus .png

buttress.png

As I said earlier, you can grow a bonsai in any shape you wish. I just prefer to try for natural shapes.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tnx 4 clearing that up Shibui. 👍

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Tnx for the feedback Shibui! what do you exactly mean by:
- frankenstein tree? Is it the shape? The possible grafts?
- natural ficus shape?

Greetings
The tree base are several young wild Ficus retusa twisted and fused together then its grafted with Ficus "compacta" that makes smaller leafs, thats the way they produce them in China by millions, the "Ginseng"ficus are the same they strangle the roots to make the bulb appereance and then graft Ficus "compacta"

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
There are Ficus species that make caudex like roots or trunks like Ficus petiolaris, but the Ginsengs are just Retusa roots strangled if you cut the compacta graft it buds out just like any regular Retusa

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are Ficus species that make caudex like roots or trunks like Ficus petiolaris, but the Ginsengs are just Retusa roots strangled if you cut the compacta graft it buds out just like any regular Retusa
As said, any info on the strangling?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
This tree was a regular nursery Ficus ginseng, the graft was removed and let to bud out as regular Retusa then airlayered to correct inverse taper, probably the best one you can find

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 416858
These are the only reasons I saved two from the trash pile at lowes. They have potential to be something other than what they are sold as. Mine are non grafted.

Top Bottom