My first trident maple

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Welcome. My first trees were purchased with the same sentiment in mind. After spending some time with these trees, I have come to the same conclusion that Shibui advised you of - what you gain in time savings from a thicker trunk is lost in reworking the trunk and nebari. I'm always on the look out for a larger trunk, but nowadays I will also require some lower movement at the very least so that time is actually saved.

Rather than focus too much on the nurseries and big box stores, there are vendors (at least state side) that sell ground grown trees with larger trunks that have been growing with bonsai in mind.
The story is the same in many aspects. After selling a few BCs, I found that people compare my trees with those from nurseries and big box stores. They don't get that I went through a selection process in the swamp, take the trees, prune and arrange the roots for optimum nebari. Nurseries trees likely will take more time to develop than mine. Though I will not be selling trees much longer, this whole experience has taught me much. I now see the values in the trees sold by other vendors as well and am able to discern the quality vendors from the scammers.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The story is the same in many aspects. After selling a few BCs, I found that people compare my trees with those from nurseries and big box stores. They don't get that I went through a selection process in the swamp, take the trees, prune and arrange the roots for optimum nebari. Nurseries trees likely will take more time to develop than mine. Though I will not be selling trees much longer, this whole experience has taught me much. I now see the values in the trees sold by other vendors as well and am able to discern the quality vendors from the scammers.
100% learning more and more how to appreciate the amount of work people put into their trees, also very sad to see what some trees go for locally because someone had to put their blood sweat and tears into it for years and years and barely getting a days wage out of it. I've quickly learned that this tree might not progress much further as a bonsai as people on this thread indicated might be the case. But this tree taught me a lot already and has possibly provided me with a air layering that might serve me better in the future. Regardless, this tree will serve many purposes, if my other experiments fail, i could always just plant it in the ground for a closer supply of trident maple seeds

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
29 August 2023
The trident maple that i think has the most potential to become a bonsai was repotted today. Placed in a better mix...but not yet APL...to hopefully encourage improved root growth.

Attachments

• 20230829_172904.jpg
    20230829_172904.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230829_173324.jpg
    20230829_173324.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230829_174616.jpg
    20230829_174616.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230829_175141.jpg
    20230829_175141.jpg