My First Try - Juniperus Procumbens 'Nana'

gokalp

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm a newbie and here's my first try. I would like to hear your styling advices. (Sorry for the awful wiring. I'm aware of that, but it's to late to fix :confused:)

Pads are a bit messy now, because I did not trim the tree too much. The reason is I want to thicken some branches. The tree is still in a growing container and I did not change the soil yet. (just add some) I'm going to change the pot on April. By that time, I will let it grow.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

bonsai-start.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, wanderer!

Glad you found your way, here, where the woody-dwarves (Pa-Is) dance amongst the splintered moonlight of the Tiny Forest.

I remember being terrified to show my wiring, and making statements like this.. in anticipation of "unloading"... But honestly... Your wiring does not look too bad at all... You'll learn to coil tighter while still keeping your angles with time.. but for "what It is"... Id say your technical application of wire was just fine. :)

I like the structure you are creating.

My question is about the third dimension... What do you have 'going' for back branches?

A "top-down" shot would be helpful.

I'm not REEEALLY a conifer guy.. but do own/care for a large armful.

;)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also, it will help this, and future discussions/inquiries if we knew where, on this oxygen covered marble (at least in general) , you were located.

On any given day there will be folks from Alaska, South Africa, the Mediterranean area, South American Continent..ect ect ect., all contributing to the same threads.

Your advice/answers/dialogue become very relevant to your location or climate zone.

It can be vague... Mine just says "Northeastern Wisconsin".

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

gokalp

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you :) I'm from Turkiye, Antalya. Too hot and humid in here :)

Top view is not giving too much. But I can provide you some side view photos with explanations :)

On the second image, I marked the main back branch with yellow. I placed it under the apex and fill the gap. And I'm planning to sacrifice red and blue marked branches. (Maybe I will make a jin with the red one)

bonsai-side.jpg

bonsai-side-marked.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you :) I'm from Turkiye, Antalya. Too hot and humid in here :)

Top view is not giving too much. But I can provide you some side view photos with explanations :)

On the second image, I marked the main back branch with yellow. I placed it under the apex and fill the gap. And I'm planning to sacrifice red and blue marked branches. (Maybe I will make a jin with the red one)

View attachment 467516

View attachment 467517
Awesome.. that shows me what I was looking for.

I think it looks great!
Estoy de acuerda.

Looking good, keep it going.

I'm from Turkiye, Antalya. Too hot and humid in here :)

Awesome!! The "bridge" to the Balkans!! I'd love to travel there, sometime.

Just be aware, that these trees are dormancy-requiring, and will need at least 40-60 days of temperatures under 40dF... Which MAY be difficult depending on your exact location within Turkiye (I'm not too familiar with your climate) 🤓 ((Also, how is that (of your country) spelling pronounced, is it the same, or is that last 'e' enunciated?... I like yours better.... )))
🤣🤣
I'd recommend looking into some other species to "play with" as well, that are either native, or will THRIVE in your region.

How cold does it get by you, friend?

gokalp

Seedling
Reaction score
How cold does it get by you, friend?
In winter, we have 5 to 10 celcius at night, 15 to 25 celcius at daytime. but some people have Nana's here and they don't have any problem. Maybe it's not about the coldness but about high humidity.

It's enunciated, but the world knows as "Turkey". So, it's OK for me to say "Turkey" :)

Last edited:

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice work. Nana is so fun to just get in there and style.

I think you have done a good job with this.
Once the pads develop, it should look quite nice.
Friendly criticism-
The lower Jim’s are a bit distracting for my taste. The one to the left (in 1st photo) is too thin, long, and uniform.
The Jin hook at right pulls the viewers eye up underneath the horizontal pad, which stops flow. Maybe twist the top to the side.
My thoughts only. 😉

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In winter, we have 5 to 10 celcius at night, 15 to 25 celcius at daytime. but some people have Nana's here and they don't have any problem. Maybe it's not about the coldness but about high humidity.

It's enunciated, but the world knows as "Turkey". So, it's OK for me to say "Turkey" :)

The key is the difference between surviving and thriving. The tree may live for a long time, but it will be weaker and more susceptible to disease than its counterparts in places with colder winters.

gokalp

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice work. Nana is so fun to just get in there and style.

I think you have done a good job with this.
Once the pads develop, it should look quite nice.
Friendly criticism-
The lower Jim’s are a bit distracting for my taste. The one to the left (in 1st photo) is too thin, long, and uniform.
The Jin hook at right pulls the viewers eye up underneath the horizontal pad, which stops flow. Maybe twist the top to the side.
My thoughts only. 😉
Thank you. You are right about jins. The left one came with the tree and I did not touch. And I accidentally broke the right one in half, so it's not the initial design. I haven't decide how to deal with that yet. Thanks for your suggestions :)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

I understand.

I'd prefer the entire north American Continent be called "Nutr Piyii"... Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

"Motherland" en Ingles.

Top Bottom