My First yamadori Privet/Ligustrum

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Today I collected my first yamadori from my parents place (Homeadori? :)

I'm about to sell the house but I would like to take a couple of the Ligustrum's with me!
I read they are hard to kill! Which is a perfect first tree to collect for me!

I have about 30 of them so here the first one I took out today.
Unfortunately not much root mass, only big tap roots that were too long to keep.

Since this is my first try at collecting, I would like to know if you have advises!
I'm trying to make sure I'm doing everything correctly as its not easy to get more experience.

I plan on cutting the big bulge under the base, cuts the bigger roots while keeping as much feeder roots.
Do I have to seal the cuts, especially the scar left after cutting the bulge that will be in substrate?

As for the branches, I guess I can reduce them as much as I want, even really close to the base?

For now I let the whole tree soak in water for 24hrs, the time I build a proper box for it.

I am planning on placing the tree in straight pumice... that's is easily available to me for cheap, is there a better substrate I should use?

20220411_171100.jpg20220411_171118.jpg20220411_171125.jpg20220411_171133.jpg

What it should look like with the bulge removed:
I will do a drawing or 2 before cutting the branches yet just to have a better idea of the tree.
1649719799829.png

Thanks
Ugo

Attachments

• 20220411_142059.jpg
    20220411_142059.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 21

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sweet privet, I would cut back the branches way further. Nice base!!!

Reactions: Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Thanks!
The base measure 6in.
There is 2 that are even bigger but I wanted to dig this one up at first as its also a good candidate.

As you mentionned the branches has been reduced and the bulge removed.

20220412_000644.jpg
20220412_133539.jpg
20220412_164724.jpg

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Just a quick follow-up on my collected Ligustrum.

Both tree seems in good health, pushing alot of new growth.

Collecting aside I tried different substate for the trees as I wanted to improve in future I need to see more than one result!
The one on the left was planted in DE, the one on the right in a mix 1-1-1 akadama, pumice, lava rock.
I also sealed the major wounds of the sumo with cutting paste, the second tree was left as is.
The plan is to carve wood so I left alot of material so this test was really to see if a major cut on ligistrum heals better with paste.

20220622_150534.jpg

They were both collected in April and I started applying fertilizer (chicken manure) June 1st.

20220622_150543.jpg
20220622_150559.jpg

20220622_150549.jpg

20220622_150551.jpg

As you can see for now the tree planted in the 1-1-1 mix has a slower progression.
Not by much but that tree had more feeder roots from the start then the other so Im quite surprised so far.
I can't say if this is due or not to the different mix used so far but there is defenately a difference between the Mix and DE water retention.
I can't assume the substrate Is the cause but its interresting to note.

I am now juggling with the idea on how to aerate the substrate...
Does anyone have a trick?!
Im not saying I will do it but seeing this situation makes me think about future solutions to avoid a repot for collected Yamadori not ready for a repot.
Here's what I came up with..
Nothing serious just an idea:
20220622_014015.jpg

Thanks!
Ugo

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Are you sure thats Ligustrum? Ligustrum usually haces opossite pair leaves not alternate

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Agreed the new growth don't appear to be Privet.

Nick121

Sapling
Reaction score
Im not saying I will do it but seeing this situation makes me think about future solutions to avoid a repot for collected Yamadori not ready for a repot.
Aerate as in your substrate retaining water and not much oxygenation?

If the substrate is draining well then there's no need to worry about root aeration, there would be plenty of air in there. The substrate is pretty coarse, there would be plenty of micro air pockets available for the roots to feed. But if you're really concern about aeration then aerate the water using air stone and air pump before watering the plant. Your water will contain a good amount of dissolved oxygen.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Are you sure thats Ligustrum? Ligustrum usually haces opossite pair leaves not alternate

No Im not anymore!

Wondering what it could be then..
They do produce some little black fruits similar to ligustrum and small flowers.
It would be interresting to know what they are exactly!
They were used as edge trees at my parents place..

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Ever any flowers on them?

Hi!

Yes as mentioned above they do produce little flowers followed by little black berries type fruits.
The fruits are really sour.
I made some more research and Im now thinking that this could be an Aronia tree?
I know they can become highly ramified and used for an edge.
I can take better picture of the leaves and bark tommorrow If needed!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The chokeberry looks more like it. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of this tree.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Like this one? https://inaturalist.ca/taxa/160949-Cotoneaster-lucidus

large.jpeg

szxnx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi!

Just a quick follow-up on my collected Ligustrum.

Both tree seems in good health, pushing alot of new growth.

Collecting aside I tried different substate for the trees as I wanted to improve in future I need to see more than one result!
The one on the left was planted in DE, the one on the right in a mix 1-1-1 akadama, pumice, lava rock.
I also sealed the major wounds of the sumo with cutting paste, the second tree was left as is.
The plan is to carve wood so I left alot of material so this test was really to see if a major cut on ligistrum heals better with paste.

View attachment 443321

They were both collected in April and I started applying fertilizer (chicken manure) June 1st.

View attachment 443322
View attachment 443325

View attachment 443323

View attachment 443324

As you can see for now the tree planted in the 1-1-1 mix has a slower progression.
Not by much but that tree had more feeder roots from the start then the other so Im quite surprised so far.
I can't say if this is due or not to the different mix used so far but there is defenately a difference between the Mix and DE water retention.
I can't assume the substrate Is the cause but its interresting to note.

View attachment 443336

Thanks!
Ugo
I found this interesting - is it important to preversenlots of roots or is that not as much as a priority? Grandparents house is being sold and has a bunch of big stumps with some leaders I could experiment on.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I found this interesting - is it important to preversenlots of roots or is that not as much as a priority? Grandparents house is being sold and has a bunch of big stumps with some leaders I could experiment on.
Hi!

Please note that we're now talking about Cotoneaster trees.
The title is misleading due to identificarion error from my part.
I will close this thread.
Interrested in a follow-up in the progression of theses 2?
I will post the link!

Thanks

Top Bottom