My fluorescent light setup

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The wire shelf is 6x4 ft and makes it perfect for hanging 4 ft fluorescent lights. I'm using Large boot trays with rubber egg crates that were included with the trays. My light setup is 4 T5 high output fluorescent lights on the top shelf which put out 5,000 lumens per Bulb = 20,000 lumens for the top and the bottom shelf lights are 2 2 bulb workshop fixtures which put out about 2,900 lumens per bulb and one T5 High output which put out 5,000 lumens a total of 16,600 lumens for the bottom and all are 6500k spectrum and run on a timer 16 Hrs a day.

My bonsai's are a 15 inch tiger bark ficus, 18 inch Fukien Tea, 15 inch Fukien Tea, 12 inch Serrisa, 12 inch Willow Leaf ficus, Trident Maple and A ficus that has been grow from a cutting. The Trident is for testing purposes. I will place it out next December for 3 months for a dormancy period. All the other Trees will stay indoors year round.

Attachments

• IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1740.jpg
    IMG_1740.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Your profile suggests you're in S. Florida. No offense, but unless you don't have a yard or balcony, why on earth are you growing these inside?

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Your profile suggests you're in S. Florida. No offense, but unless you don't have a yard or balcony, why on earth are you growing these inside?

I live in a apartment complex so That's the main reason. I really enjoy having them indoors with me, I can always glace over at them:D. Even if I did have a balcony, I would still have some inside with me and some on the Balcony also. They also get some light from my South window. The funkien teas and Serrisa are putting out tons of flowers and buds everyday since I put them under the light. So 6500k spectrum do make them Flower. They look Happy to me:)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I read an article yesterday in which the author said that she grew bonsai indoors because she enjoyed the challenge to her horticultural skills. For her, growing trees indoors that she should not have been able to was a big part of the fun.

I understand this point as I enjoy growing things here in Vegas that really don't belong here (like pretty much anything green) ;) just to see if I can...

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I read an article yesterday in which the author said that she grew bonsai indoors because she enjoyed the challenge to her horticultural skills. For her, growing trees indoors that she should not have been able to was a big part of the fun.

I understand this point as I enjoy growing things here in Vegas that really don't belong here (like pretty much anything green) ;) just to see if I can...

Yeah that's very true some of us are always up for a good challenge that's how I've always been. I've grown Japanese maples down here in South Florida but they don't do to well. The trident maple is going to be my biggest challenge. But I will be putting it out next winter for 3 months for a dormancy period. Everyone says tridents can't bee grown indoors, so I said what the heck I'll throw one stock trident in and see how well it does under the light. Tridents are Kind of not suppose to grow down here either I'm just south of there range.

The temperature in my apartment pretty much stays between 65 in the winter and 85 in the summer and the humidity runs between 40 and 75 and never drops below 40 even with the Central Ac on. I keep my widows open about 6 months out of the year. Usually November thru April. It's 62 degree's out this afternoon at 4pm and its 71 degree's in my apartment with the windows open.:D

Top Bottom