My Formal Upright Trident, naked as can be

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oh and BTW...Bonsai are measured at the base in diameter not circumference. Most people measure across the trunk at the soil line. That gives most everyone an actual measurement in ones head of how large a trunk is. You listed this trunk at 4.5 inches.

That means the trunk is about 1 3/8 inches across?

luckydevil728

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey there, i feel for you..don't get hurt by everyones comments.. your more than welcome here.. (this is a public forum) and You own the damn tree, you can do what ever the hell you what with it. That's your business.
What these folks are responding too (i think) is the fact that we get lots of newer bonsai student's on this forum talking big,making mistakes with there trees, trying to re-invent things or have a better way, and they don't or won't listen to good advise. And you asked for advise by posting with photo's. You really have to listen and learn from the experts on this and other forums, and not act or pretend like you know what your doing.(you may or not) First you said one thing, that you were going to chop and graft the tree, and now you are going to layer it into two tree's. who cares if it was defoliated or not, what ever??

Most people would think a tree like this should be grow out, in the ground or Anderson flat, homemade wooden box tile etc. What you are going for is size, taper and nabari (there are ratio's to follow) This is done by letting a leader grow and not chopping right away like you suggested or defoliating, this sets the tree back! Branching and or grafting come later, some times many years later... Bonsai takes a lot of time and Patience. You just can't make a show worthy trident in a season or two. Can you? It takes time!

The folks that have been doing this for 20,30or40 plus years, take this stuff serious! The members in my club are very strict and come from the John Naka days, the don't like the newbies (including myself after 5 years) acting like they know what there doing. Some also don't like to share there knowledge and secrets (right away) You have to earn respect sometimes.
Most are very cool and open to anybody..

BUT don't let all this discourage you. Have you joined one of the many clubs in the Los Angeles area? Most are all pretty good folks. Take some classes from Bob at Kimura(he's great) or Roy at Fuji in Sylmar(he's awsome) also you can Join Desconso bonsai club or in the valley Sansui-kai club. These are very talented people..along with Al (smoke) who is one of a few real experts with Trident Maples and other trees, along with bonsai display, woodworking, soils and humic acid ect.. You may want to go to the Golden State Bonsai Convention in Burbank, in Oct. You will hear critiques about trees that bring some owners to tears. Also great place to pick up some new material. like a new maple
always learn from the experts and good luck to you...
no disrespect..
just my 2cents

kthehun89

Sapling
Reaction score
I never said anything about the criticism, just the method at which it was applied. Thanks! And the tree is 1.5" diameter 1" above the soil. Any other questions?

Thanks for the other responses guys!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope...pretty much covered everything.

I think you have done a great job with this so far and I can see this being a real stunner in a couple years.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Nope...pretty much covered everything.

I think you have done a great job with this so far and I can see this being a real stunner in a couple years.

A real Kokufu-Ten prize winner, prostrate in it's presence.....

Ooooh, I just love Bonsai drama....Encore, Encore!!!!!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A real Kokufu-Ten prize winner, prostrate in it's presence.....

Ooooh, I just love Bonsai drama....Encore, Encore!!!!!!

This way I have given him a choice. Honesty or BS....his choice.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
This way I have given him a choice. Honesty or BS....his choice.

I completely understand....He insinuated I had shaken my head until I contracted dementia....Do with him what you will, I wash my hands of any sympathy for his learning curve....

Last edited:

kthehun89

Sapling
Reaction score
At least I'm getting feedback which is what I asked for :)

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Wow... Well, let me start off by saying that this reply is made not as a forum member or bonsai owner, but as an adult shocked at what he's been reading. That being said:

THERE'S TOO MUCH EGO IN THIS ROOM EVEN FOR BUDDAH TO HANDLE

I understand where everyone is coming from in this post, but the more I read on this site, it seems apparent that these sort of aggressive postings are (unfortunately) a common occurance. Granted, I may be a "noob" by this site's standards, but I'm tired of repeatedly seeing this behavior on a site who's function is the transmission of knowledge through a sort of social networking for special interests. Here is a prime example: the original poster (possibly inadvertently - we dont really know) posted incorrect information - you guys had a chance to pass on correct information, and you did - but in an extremely confrontational manner that put the poster on edge and defensive against what you were saying, meaning he may not have gotten any information at all because he felt he was being verbally attacked. You catch more flys with honey than vinegar fellas... (It's not what you say, it's HOW you say it)

To all the noobs: read as many bonsai books and all the posts on this site (search functions are great!) in order to have a better grasp of the varried techniques and processes of bonsai so the old timers don't have to repeat everything a hundred times, I did and its saved me a lot of headaches in posting on sites like these.

To all the "old timers": the people looking for information on this site may be so new that they don't know exactly what they're talking about, so try to have some patience and don't gang up on and alienate them - they are our (bonsai) future after all. And besides, it's supposed to be about the trees and not making ourselves feel superior by basking in our own experience and throwing around how much knowledge we have. If you really feel the need for an ego boost by bullying, go back to high school 'cause I sure ain't puttin' up with it.

Now that we're done comparing d!@&$, can we go back to talking about bonsai in an objective and civil manner, and not jabbing each other through the safety and aninimity of the Internet?

Nice guy thinks he can change things, but the nice guy is WRONG!!!!!....

He defended himself with arrogance when he called the defoliation decision "sound"..it was "sound" economics on Bob's part, but nowhere near as botanically "sound"...And are we here for sales or for the health and development of trees?....I rest my case.....

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see he has pulled his post.

I guess it sounded a little like what he was accusing all the rest of. Pretty hard to cast stones when your surrounded by glass. No matter how you cut it, both parties have to be ammicable to learning and teaching.

If that guy wanted a really honest critique of his tree I could give him that in a New York minute. One has to be ready for what they are going to hear. If they don't want to hear, then don't ask for it. Thats why I have not said one thing about his purchase.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, I realized my rant was jut that - a rant, so I thought I'd delete it before someone responded. But thanks to the "reply with quote" button my tired, end of day ravings are saved for all to see.

Granted, I'm about half asleep marcosolo, but who is the nice guy you're referring to in your post? If its me, I thank you for the compliment. As far as "trying to change things" I can't properly reply until I know what "things" you mean, as inference is not conveyed through electronic text, although I am picking up a bit of snarky sarcasm from the structure and context of what little you wrote. The remainder of your brief message clearly demonstrates what I'm referring to in my "rant" which you have generously preserved for all to read.

To spare everyone else reading this from getting lost in a text war I'll end the argument here, I've said all I want to say and won't respond to this thread anymore. With that, I'm going to bed - it isn't worth loosing sleep arguing with someone who clearly just wants to argue for arguments sake.

Top Bottom