My Fukien Tea with a question.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's a Fukien Tea I just repotted a week ago. It's recovering in the shade right now, out of the wind. I'll probably start introducing it to some dappled sun in a day or so.
The question I have is about this knee. Should I snip it? I've read that exposed roots can create water issues. Aesthetically, it probably should be snipped, but I kind of like it, I just don't want to damage the tree.
Thanks!

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Okay, cool. I'm learning something every day. I think I got all the big air pockets out with the chopstick.
I do have a chopstick in the back to assist with watering, I'm not good enough yet to be able to just "tell" when a tree needs watering.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I wouldn't snip it without knowing what is attached to it. It would be unfortunate if it was the only root sustaining the tree. I'm sure it's not, but I'd excavate around it, make a staple out of some 4mm aluminum wire, pin it down, and backfill it. Address a permanent solution at next repot.

And before Adair says it:p, try to get the soil level flatter across the rim of the pot next time.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Thanks Brian! I'll "shave" the soil around the rim. I typically don't like the rounded hill look, but as low as the left branch is, I needed to build up the area under the trunk.

I'll look at creating a staple for the root, I haven't really had any critiques on the tree yet. I don't mind the "knee", I just didn't want it to be a bother to the tree.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 103597 View attachment 103598 View attachment 103599 Here's a Fukien Tea I just repotted a week ago. It's recovering in the shade right now, out of the wind. I'll probably start introducing it to some dappled sun in a day or so.
The question I have is about this knee. Should I snip it? I've read that exposed roots can create water issues. Aesthetically, it probably should be snipped, but I kind of like it, I just don't want to damage the tree.
Thanks!
That picture's so damn big, what size is the actual tree? Age?

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Oh man, sorry. I could post a pic as a thumbnail.

I'm not sure of the age, I've only had it for a little while. I'll measure it tomorrow and post a thumbnail pic.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To me it's got good branch structure..someone has put some time in on the clip and grow on this tree..I wouldn't snip that until you do some digging around.like Brian said. Nice tree try to chase some foliage back to the trunk. Yours is about the same size as mine and mine is 10 years old. Just don't over water it and it will be happy.

Rick

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty nice fukien tea tree you chose. ...wonderful forming bark and decent trunk movement, congratulations. They usually come from China and are shaped like chinese dragons...

I'm the next who wouldn't deal with that root now. I wouldn't disturb the tree, put it off for next repotting session in 2-3 years. But one thing I would do now and always is removing of dry flowers.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll leave the root alone for now, when I do a repot, I'll tackle it then.

I've definitely taken out the dead leaves and I pinch the few yellow ones I get.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Im not a flower guy so when i see a flower on mine i pull it..flowers use energy the tree could have..they..some people like them..i dont..does yours have leaf drop problem when you move it from outside to inside for the winter..they are supposed to be prone to that but mine hasnt dropped a leaf yet that i didnt want it to..yes leafs get old and i do remove them, but dropping a whole growth of leaves it hasnt done that..i moved this tree from michigan to texas and it didnt drop one.

Rick

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Not a lot of leaves have dropped, but a couple have turned yellow. I pulled those as well.

I did do an emergency repot. The tree somehow came lose in the pot and the guys at the club meeting said the mound had to go. Just like you guys said.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 53

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is one of the better fukien teas ive seen. Under the right conditions they will grow fast so keep those branches in check..dont let the branch structure get oyt of shape.

Rick

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Okay, I need help now. I've recently repotted this Fukien, so I know it's under stress. But, in my ignorance it has rained heavily the last three days so it's been overwatered and I fought off spider mites.

I isolated the tree yesterday and took pics of the leaves today. There's an abundance of yellow leaves, I was thinking either stress or overwatering, but there's also black spots on the leaves, on the green and yellow leaves. What's attacking my poor Fukien?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 48

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Looking through the interwebs, it looks like I've got some Black SPot Leaf Disease. From what I'm reading it fits with what has happened, wet conditions, overwatering and the black spots. The tree has been weakened and stressed by repotting, so I'm figuring it's BSLD.

There's a recipe online to treat, or Neem Oil, that's what I'm going to use. I've removed nearly all the yellow leaves, but there are still some green leaves with the spots.

Treatment and isolation is what I'm planning on doing, any other thoughts?

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dont normally say this but i would treat it and if you are still getting rain bring it inside until it stops..they dont like to be water logged

Rick

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I dont normally say this but i would treat it and if you are still getting rain bring it inside until it stops..they dont like to be water logged

Rick
Thanks Rick.

I've got it on a seven day neem oil treatment, to,or row will be day three. I've also moved it out of the rain. Tomorrow it will get some morning sun.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Keep it outside if you have sun. If you have several days of rain bring it in for a bit. It also depends on the soil your using too..if it doesnt drain good and holds water definitely bring it in on long rainy spells.. If its good draining bonsai soil you may need to look at other issues

Rick

Top Bottom