MY GARDEN, SHARE YOURS

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ooooh the excitement building for the fall show!!! Love your new Tillia. Hard to find, I've always wanted to try one.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
ooooh the excitement building for the fall show!!! Love your new Tillia. Hard to find, I've always wanted to try one.

I know! Like you, I love fall. For the color yes, but also because I want to see those trees finally naked! :p The tilia from Ryan is really nice. I am now just studying it and may actually consider its back as the new front. I have all winter to think about that. I don't want to make that decision lightly as I know Ryan probably put a lot of thought into it.

Today replenishing the gravel areas.

And after its being raked.

Reaction score
@MACH5 I see that you have many trees in open spaces. Can you please tell me what’s your thought process when deciding the position of trees in relation to sun exposure? I’m thinking about maples mostly. Thanks in advance.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 I see that you have many trees in open spaces. Can you please tell me what’s your thought process when deciding the position of trees in relation to sun exposure? I’m thinking about maples mostly. Thanks in advance.

Generally I expose most maples to direct sun in spring and fall. During the hottest months I provide them with more shade under the arbor which was designed to provide 50% sunlight. However, exposing them to direct sun in spring and/or fall is not a necessity and I leave some maples under the arbor for the entire growing season. The maples you see in the more open spaces, some are cultivars such as arakawa and sharp's pygmy which are much more resistant to sunlight. One large maple placed by the entrance of the garden, was left there all summer long with hardly any leaf damage. I believe the fact that it is large and in a big pot helps it to maintain enough moisture to mitigate any adverse effects from the sun. All the trees that are more exposed are watered twice a day religiously during the hottest months unless lots of rain is in the forecast or it is extremely humid. In that case they may only get watered in the morning.

I never place smaller maples out in the sun during the summer. They grow in very small containers and most likely they won't be able to draw water fast enough to compesate for the rate of evaporation leading to leaf damage. So all smaller maples are placed under the arbor.

Remember that Japanese maples are naturally understory trees and are quite happy growing in dappled light under much larger trees. Just ensure that you have enough air circulation.

I hope this is helpful.

Reaction score
Generally I expose most maples to direct sun in spring and fall. During the hottest months I provide them with more shade under the arbor which was designed to provide 50% sunlight. However, exposing them to direct sun in spring and/or fall is not a necessity and I leave some maples under the arbor for the entire growing season. The maples you see in the more open spaces, some are cultivars such as arakawa and sharp's pygmy which are much more resistant to sunlight. One large maple placed by the entrance of the garden, was left there all summer long with hardly any leaf damage. I believe the fact that it is large and in a big pot helps it to maintain enough moisture to mitigate any adverse effects from the sun. All the trees that are more exposed are watered twice a day religiously during the hottest months unless lots of rain is in the forecast or it is extremely humid. In that case they may only get watered in the morning.

I never place smaller maples out in the sun during the summer. They grow in very small containers and most likely they won't be able to draw water fast enough to compesate for the rate of evaporation leading to leaf damage. So all smaller maples are placed under the arbor.

Remember that Japanese maples are naturally understory trees and are quite happy growing in dappled light under much larger trees. Just ensure that you have enough air circulation.

I hope this is helpful.
It helps. Thanks a lot

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know! Like you, I love fall. For the color yes, but also because I want to see those trees finally naked! :p The tilia from Ryan is really nice. I am now just studying it and may actually consider its back as the new front. I have all winter to think about that. I don't want to make that decision lightly as I know Ryan probably put a lot of thought into it.

Today replenishing the gravel areas.

And after its being raked.

The new gravel color creates a really nice contrast!

BckCntry

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wonderful trees in a fantastic garden MACH5. I'm looking again for inspiration.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful! Some of you guys / girls make this look so easy.... I Wish I Wish I Wish ...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Really stunning, especially since my outdoor view is of snow.:(:mad:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow Serg, great fall colors! Even the Beech is showing off. Better tell that ginkgo it missed summer and skip to fall!

Thanks Bri! The beech colored up really well and evenly this year. It usually goes from green to copper and largely skips the yellow. The lazy ginkgo is coloring up finally. Hopefully it will go to a more normal schedule next spring.

Top Bottom