MY GARDEN, SHARE YOURS

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Three and a half years ago I started my bonsai garden. Before that time, I had long benches simply set on the grass. Ultimately I wanted to create a garden specifically designed to display my bonsai. Having been in Japan twice now, I took home many design and aesthetic tips. I did not set out to recreate a Japanese garden, but rather I used them to inspire my own design. I have also taken inspiration from many other sources, so fair to say my garden is somewhat eclectic. I keep tweaking and making additions as needed. Next year more changes will come as I look to incorporate some larger trees within the space. Essentially, it continues to be a work in progress.

Since the beginning I have taken many photographs throughout the different seasons and at different times of the day. It have taken great pleasure in seeing my garden and trees maturing together. Although I would not consider my garden as large sized, it is of sufficient dimensions to allow the trees to be highlighted without being cramped against each other. Of course that will continue to be a challenge as my collection grows.

I have included a few pics back when it all started with the construction of the arbor. It all grew from there.

Please post your gardens or set ups no matter what they may be, even those under construction. Simple benches on grass why not! It's all good! I know at least a few of you have some really nice set ups!

Absolutely stunning, picturesque garden. I like the idea of your garden being inspired by Japanese gardens without strictly recreating it. That's how I'd do it. Same with architecture. There is a lot potential to be had with this aesthetic, and I'd say you nailed it.

What state and hardiness zone is this? I am seriously envying your climate.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning, picturesque garden. I like the idea of your garden being inspired by Japanese gardens without strictly recreating it. That's how I'd do it. Same with architecture. There is a lot potential to be had with this aesthetic, and I'd say you nailed it.

What state and hardiness zone is this? I am seriously envying your climate.

Thank you! I am in northern New Jersey zone 6.

PieterVE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, very beautiful gardens all !
As a newbie I still have to create one, probably this year...

Just wondering, what do you prefer: wooden benches or stone ?
And underneath: gravel or mulch ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow, very beautiful gardens all !
As a newbie I still have to create one, probably this year...

Just wondering, what do you prefer: wooden benches or stone ?
And underneath: gravel or mulch ?

My own preferences:

I like to mix materials that are natural. For example wood and stone. My longer benches are painted wood planks while many of the single stands have a piece of blue stone as the top supported by a wooden post. I have painted many of the wooden surfaces to try and create a clean look. I think raw wood tends to look "busy" to my eyes.

For ground cover, I prefer gravel as it looks sharp and clean vs the look of mulch. But gravel does requires upkeep to keep it looking good. It also works very well against weeds specially if landscape fabric is laid underneath. I do have however some mulched areas for visual contrast.

Good luck with your own garden and I think all the effort is worth it as you'll be able to enjoy your trees even to a greater degree.

Top Bottom