MY GARDEN, SHARE YOURS

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been working on this the last few days , should be done in a couple more days. My back yard is on a slope.

Nice work! What kind of tree is the one in the second picture? Looks awesome.1585509135880.png

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can see the future... .. . turned ankles, twisted knees, dropped pots.

Swami Sal ami bin Dunthat

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Here are my other boulder groupings/clusters...

Stup*d kids keep biking through my small karesansui/ginshanada (Japanese-style gravel-area) that's in the middle of my front-yard (leaving deep tracks and a little gravel spilled onto the side-walk and driveway; and needs to be leveled-off with a broom every time they do that). Happens maybe 1-3x per week. Getting real annoying. I'd love to grab their bike while they're still on it, and slash their tires; but that may be illegal (or punch their parents in the nose).

I'm now planning to install short 1-2' tall bamboo-fencing around the gravel-area to deter kids and other dumb people from biking or walking through it (bamboo fencing like in Japanese gardens).

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Stup*d kids keep biking through my small karesansui/ginshanada (Japanese-style gravel-area) that's in the middle of my front-yard (leaving deep tracks and a little gravel spilled onto the side-walk and driveway; and needs to be leveled-off with a broom every time they do that). Happens maybe 1-3x per week. Getting real annoying. I'd love to grab their bike while they're still on it, and slash their tires; but that may be illegal (or punch their parents in the nose).

I'm now planning to install short 1-2' tall bamboo-fencing around the gravel-area to deter kids and other dumb people from biking or walking through it (bamboo fencing like in Japanese gardens).
Problem solved...
Daisy mailable.jpg

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Haha... trust me... I've thought about spike-strips (probably illegal, lol).

Also thought about a sensor to turn on a sprinkler (like someone else did here for birds on their koi pond), but I don't think a sprinkler system would be fast enough to charge pipes and turn on while someone quickly bikes/walks on it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha... trust me... I've thought about spike-strips (probably illegal, lol).

Also thought about a sensor to turn on a sprinkler (like someone else did here for birds on their koi pond), but I don't think a sprinkler system would be fast enough to charge pipes and turn on while someone quickly bikes/walks on it.
It’s pretty quick! Depending upon which direction the sprinkler is facing, they may or may not get sprayed. Though, with kids, getting sprayed is “fun”, and they’ll try to “test” the system, only making the situation worse.

An electric fence, with appropriate signage, would be more effective.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You don't want to start a pissing match with kids. Remember the warped kids you knew when you were a kid? There's always one in the group that will take any resistance by you as a challenge. You don't know when they might show up, and they know where you live. And they make up the rules as they go. Resist the urge.

You can make it inconvenient and or difficult to cross by erecting an attractive barrier at a 45°, like your bamboo fence, but too tall to jump, or something of that nature. Whatever you do, don't challenge them to a duel. They won't play fair.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, very true... kids will likely test it multiple times (instead of their initial one-time pass), like some video-game or some other fun carnival machine.

Yeah... kids can be resistant and will challenge.

I think a 1-2' bamboo fence is the best way. Short, but all that's needed to re-direct traffic, make it inconvenient/not-possible to easily ride through, to make a point that it shouldn't be crossed, etc. (the kids seem too little to even know how to bunny-hop [barely even off training-wheels]... and once they get older/bigger to bunny-hop, they'll hopefully be a little more mature/respective/courteous/mindful that destruction is wrong).

Last edited:
Top Bottom