MY GARDEN, SHARE YOURS

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
7 am, pre taxpayer life for both of us, love it. i somehow lucked out with no direct neighbors
watched a few cardinals for 20 mins while i putted around
i played the heat wave nice under umbrella w water, past few days, everything thrived
should be eating limequat kumquat and figs this summer

20210701_073346.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not nearly the heatwave that the PNW experienced recently but we did get a good taste of it for a few days here in the Northeast. Temps held in the mid 90s, not a cloud in sight with oppressive humidity. Regardless, deciduous trees held extremely well during the ordeal with some left under full sun all day. Today it cooled off and got some much needed rain.

IMG_8836.jpg

IMG_8841.jpg

IMG_8827.jpg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How many guests have you had to ask to leave because they walked on your Zen?
I have garden tours occasionally and people do tend have a walk-about. It does make me roll my eyes but never ask them to leave. It makes you understand it’s ephemeral.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We have a number of deer around our neighborhood. There is a forest that runs in the back of all our houses and connects our neighborhood to other neighborhoods. These deer pretty much treat our gardens as their buffets. Our hostas and other annuals are constantly nibbled off. I knew that some of my trees or plants would become deer food so I had to build something as a barrier. When I built this enclosure one of my wife's requests (meaning demands) was that it wasn't an asian or contemporary garden in the middle of our farmhouse/cottage styled landscaping. We came up with this. I'm showing pictures from both sides to show how we merged it into the landscape. I have experimented with using herbs and large junipers to protect some vegetables. This is the second year and so far the deer have been deterred by the smell of the herbs and junipers. I had to move some pines and a shimpaku outside of the enclosure because they needed more sun. I have had junipers and pines in the landscape for years and the deer have never bothered them. In the next year I plan on taking out most of the trees in the background to give the entire area more sun.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 113

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
We have a number of deer around our neighborhood. There is a forest that runs in the back of all our houses and connects our neighborhood to other neighborhoods. These deer pretty much treat our gardens as their buffets. Our hostas and other annuals are constantly nibbled off. I knew that some of my trees or plants would become deer food so I had to build something as a barrier. When I built this enclosure one of my wife's requests (meaning demands) was that it wasn't an asian or contemporary garden in the middle of our farmhouse/cottage styled landscaping. We came up with this. I'm showing pictures from both sides to show how we merged it into the landscape. I have experimented with using herbs and large junipers to protect some vegetables. This is the second year and so far the deer have been deterred by the smell of the herbs and junipers. I had to move some pines and a shimpaku outside of the enclosure because they needed more sun. I have had junipers and pines in the landscape for years and the deer have never bothered them. In the next year I plan on taking out most of the trees in the background to give the entire area more sun.
looks awesome!!!

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So last few shots at the home base for the next few months. Every year I get to house sit for my brother in laws parents house for 2 months which are the the last 3 pics. Its going to be a pain moving everything over there but it is a hell of a upgrade for a while and a awesome backyard to enjoy. :D

thumbnail_20210717_104828.jpg

thumbnail_20210717_104920.jpg

thumbnail_20200629_135928.jpg

thumbnail_20200702_184627.jpg

thumbnail_20200629_124514.jpg

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Before and "almost" after. Doing a little redesign. The small gravel raked quite well but grew weeds even better. Putting in the dry waterfall. Stay tuned.

View attachment 384035
What size/type of gravel did you use and is it nice to walk on barefoot? I need to redo my crushed bluestone path, it's pretty but too sharp for feet

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What size/type of gravel did you use and is it nice to walk on barefoot? I need to redo my crushed bluestone path, it's pretty but too sharp for feet
Not sure what they call the size but you can walk on it in your bare feet although it may not be too comfortable. Depends on your bare feet.
DD23B8B8-A676-4D4E-8E10-EB79F74E0723.jpeg

Top Bottom