Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been "doing" bonsai for about two years and just decided to put up some area to display my trees. It's just a start, and I'm open to suggestions on what else to add!

View attachment 393935

View attachment 393936
I was excited to find these stones in the woods of my front yard!
A lot of ideas in this thread.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not completely finished. Still needs the black cap on the border/sitting wall, back-filled and stands added to the growing area.

What a little piece of paradise!!! You are very fortunate, besides having good design sense. The forest behind your home makes me miss the mid-Atlantic coast.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not completely finished. Still needs the black cap on the border/sitting wall, back-filled and stands added to the growing area.

View attachment 394294View attachment 394296View attachment 394297View attachment 394298View attachment 394299
nice, i like that 1" looking smoothstone you used around pedestal

my gf and i are going to use cobblestone (massachusetts = granite state, pink granite, etc.) as perimiter to raised beds 3'-out
and off patio and fill with something like pea gravel or the stone you used.

this is after we have a section of fence finished for next spring

great vibes with those 'waves' in zen rock area...

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
nice, i like that 1" looking smoothstone you used around pedestal

my gf and i are going to use cobblestone (massachusetts = granite state, pink granite, etc.) as perimiter to raised beds 3'-out
and off patio and fill with something like pea gravel or the stone you used.

this is after we have a section of fence finished for next spring

great vibes with those 'waves' in zen rock area...
Thanks, but pea gravel is a bad word around here. Too small in that its a weed grower.....big time, even with a weed barrier. Those waves you're referring are gone because the gravel raked nice but tracked all over the house and grew weeds!! I never want to see that stuff again. The 1" you're referring to is Canadian bluestone.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks, but pea gravel is a bad word around here. Too small in that its a weed grower.....big time, even with a weed barrier. Those waves you're referring are gone because the gravel raked nice but tracked all over the house and grew weeds!! I never want to see that stuff again. The 1" you're referring to is Canadian bluestone.
good to know, thanks

ill keep the canadian bluestone in mind

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Interesting... Jim Putnam on YT always did mention "gravel regret"... in that using gravel in eastern US results in a lot of weeds because they get a lot of rainfall. So, I guess it's true. But, in the west, gravel is fine, because it's a bit drier.

I have areas that are gravel only (a small karesansui in the frontyard, one in backyard, and both side yards), and those gravel areas never get weeds.
However, my bigger 1-3" beach pebbles (far from gravel) gets weeds sometimes...I think because the gaps are larger, so the seeds can get a little sunlight and also reach the soil underneath to plant their roots into.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Interesting... Jim Putnam on YT always did mention "gravel regret"... in that using gravel in eastern US results in a lot of weeds because they get a lot of rainfall. So, I guess it's true. But, in the west, gravel is fine, because it's a bit drier.

I have areas that are gravel only (a small karesansui in the frontyard, one in backyard, and both side yards), and those gravel areas never get weeds.
However, my bigger 1-3" beach pebbles (far from gravel) gets weeds sometimes...I think because the gaps are larger, so the seeds can get a little sunlight and also reach the soil underneath to plant their roots into.
Yes this is true. I've replaced small gravel with large.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well I was going to post this as a last week at the vacation home but I may be here another few days. The person who lets me watch this house every year had a stroke this morning so we are waiting to hear what is happening so I took a bunch of pics for some good vibes and keep my mind occupied. :confused:

20210906_134811.jpg

20210906_135310.jpg

20210903_181847.jpg

20210904_165732.jpg

20210904_171900.jpg

20210906_141754.jpg

20210904_161343.jpg

20210906_135144.jpg

Top Bottom