MY GARDEN, SHARE YOURS

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm moving this year as I buy a new bigger house. I'm doing my garden much like yours. Truly you are my senpai ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My “temporary” set up:

View attachment 244391

View attachment 244392

My total “available” space for the garden:

View attachment 244390

A blank canvas, no?

That fine collection screaming for a good space! Good news is you have lots of space. Bad news is you have lots of space! :p But you can make it as big or as small as you want. In my case, the half walls that are part of the house delineated the space that I had to work with. So I worked around these structures. This courtyard was originally intended for a pool but years went by without it. One day I decided to build a bonsai garden instead. Then I told my wife. In retrospect things may have gone better if I told her first and then decide to build a garden!:eek:

Have at it and have fun!!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score

Sometimes it’s hard to leave things be isn’t it? ? your place is looking great. The Green Frog back this year?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All I see is room to keep some deciduous trees ;)
I have a couple. I really prefer conifers, and pines in particular. I get full sun. Really full sun. And the pines love it.

I’m considering installing a koi pond. But then, there’s something else “to take care of”.

I’m liking Mach5’s clean, low maintenance, appearance. A lot!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m considering installing a koi pond. But then, there’s something else “to take care of”.
Consider a pond w/no Koi. Much less work and no filtration system required.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sometimes it’s hard to leave things be isn’t it? ? your place is looking great. The Green Frog back this year?

Thanks @Arcto. Yes frog is back but thus far I have seen it only a few times. It is tough just to let things be, but honestly I never loved the way the center island came out. I think I now prefer to take it all out and do a grouping of single bonsai stands along with some larger rocks where I will place most of the bigger trees. Using the Omiya Bonsai Museum as an inspiration. Still planning it so we'll see.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

I agree. The koi pond would be beautiful but I steered clear from it myself from having yet something else I needed to worry abut. I have enough trying to keep up with my trees... and garden. Also I have plenty of hawks and blue herons around here that would empty the pond in less than a day.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A pond with "cleaner" fish than koi would be a lot less maintenance! I agree having no filtration (and therefore no circulation) is a recipe for pea soup, especially in full sun.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I simply add a product used by farmers in their livestock ponds for algae which is safe for plants and animals. Fountain and waterfall with with 4500 gph pump keeps water moving so no mosquitoes. Eazy Peazy Leaves from my 2 huge Maple trees are my bane. Going to try a floating net this fall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've not had the house for long, but we've been doing a lot to get the backyard ready. Still need to bed most of the flagstones, etc.

Plan is to have mint, house leeks, sedum, iceplant, thyme, monkey grass carpet. Just wall to wall ground covers anywhere we don't have flagstone or paver pathways. I don't know why that seems so great to me.

We will eventually replace existing fences with 6' tall sections and vining plants are already being collected to run up them. Some trees for the side of the garden where my neighbor's retaining wall is are in the works too.

Bonus, most of the materials/plants used so far have been free or trade. Still need to cut back quite a few existing shrubs, plant some of what I have in containers into the ground, and get more mulch(always). And get more trees.(duh)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I’m about 1/3 done with saving up a downpayment to buy my first house. I’m guessing a nicely apportioned garden space will come a few years after the purchase, so I’ll put a reminder in my calendar to post to this thread in summer 2024 ;)

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Some recent photos. Some changes are coming. I want to redesign the center of the garden among a few other things. But that may not be until next year.

Your garden is truly amazing! Looks very well laid out and thought out. Very nice composition of everything, super clean and lots of space between different elements. Love your rocks.

Here is mine:

It’s a WIP (as any garden), and my videos only show my backyard perimeters and side-yards, and none of the in-ground trees (I’ve spent countless hours pruning and restyling every old ground tree). My old (20-30yo) in-ground trees I’ve restyled into Niwaki are - 4 eugenias, 1 lavendar star, fern buddha pine maki-like, guava, unknown bush next to AC exhaust, meyers lemon, also 1 unknown vine and also a grape vine up on big T-posts I recently pounded in. New trees recently planted into ground (just young whips) are 1 persimmon and 2 ume. Everything else is in nursery pots because only young saplings in development (I don’t have any real bonsai… just babies); except 2 old niwaki JBPs in wine barrels and 1 old niwaki San Jose (in a 15gal nursery pot too though).

My front-yard looks pretty much the same, although a diff layout.

Only (big) thing I still want to change, is to replace all the red-brick hardscape with natural-stone or flagstone-style hardscape. That costs sooo much though.

Next and just for now though, since much cheaper and easily/quickly done, I will replace my old exposed-aggregate concrete stepping-stones with real granite ones, and also wanna replace my cheap concrete lanterns with granite lanterns from Japan. More boulders wouldn’t hurt either (very hard to place by yourself though with only a dolly, even small ones… I’ve placed 2,500lbs worth of boulders alone, lol).

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
I simply add a product used by farmers in their livestock ponds for algae which is safe for plants and animals. Fountain and waterfall with with 4500 gph pump keeps water moving so no mosquitoes. Eazy Peazy Leaves from my 2 huge Maple trees are my bane. Going to try a floating net this fall.
What product might that be...could you share please? My battle with algae in my koi pond is constant, despite a bog filter and a mechanical filter with UV.

Thanks

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What product might that be...could you share please? My battle with algae in my koi pond is constant, despite a bog filter and a mechanical filter with UV.

Thanks
Unfortunately this won't work for you.1561508592661-920070342.jpg
Frogs, squirrel,birds, coon,cats... Dont mind it. But not for Koi

Top Bottom