My gnarly ugly elm (Catlin)

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my Catlin elm over rock. I cut off almost all the branches two years ago to try and make a more naturalistic style. This tree had horizontal branches before but they thickened up very fast. The tree didn't look so good, sorry no before pic, so I started over. Here it is after a season and a half of growth. I kept the odd looking turn in the apex because everyone said to cut it except Al Keppler. I don't know, he may have just been kidding. I still need to cut it back a bit, any suggestions ? Third pic is the Sara Raynor pot I picked out for this tree which is a little wider and flatter. The sprouts on the right of the tree are 4 root cuttings, roots trimmed that I planted which then sprouted leaves. I plan to train at least a couple of them into miniature versions of the parent tree. Maybe they can stay, maybe not. Thoughts ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 43

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your Elm

Though I never saw the other version I Really do like this tree.
Can't say why. There is no WOW feature in your face just a complete
calming beauty to the whole composition. Thanks for sharing it. :D
a.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would keep the turn in the apex. It's what makes the tree, the tree it is. I would also keep the lower branching shoots and work them (or at least one of them) into the overall image. Maybe more than one. Interesting tree, and no cookie cutter here...

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you nailed the title. Gnarly for sure. I have a RoR elm myself. Hopefully the rotten squirrel that chewed some roots last fall got gingivitis and is suffering right now. And hopefully the elm will rebound.

I'd leave the bend too, and see how it feels later this summer in terms of design changes, if it tells you anything at all. Nice package.

After reviewing an old pic of mine, I'd say there is something similar here in the weird bend at the top...
102bae1e.jpg

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems much more compresssed and is looking damn good. Just needs the years....

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I gotta say...I really like this tree. It has a "Sleepy Hollow" feel to it. I like the new pot choice as well. I think the color will suit it well:). I wouldn't change a thing. Develop the shoots...who knows...
Well done!
Best,
Jonathan

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems much more compresssed and is looking damn good. Just needs the years....

Thanks much appreciated. This tree will get out of hand if I don't cut back for taper. It is gnarly but I don't have good taper in a lot of branches. Also the top will get way too thick and strong if I don't take it back hard. So, here is the tree after cut back. It's even uglier now but I think it can look pretty good in a year or two.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 33

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I really like that word - compressed. It seems that I am now trying to squeeze my bonsai into smaller and smaller shapes. Compression.

Top Bottom