My Green Mound Juniper Mame

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is my little green mound juniper. I have had this for about a month and its one of my favorite tree.

this spring it will get some pruning and pinching done but thats about it. I want this to stay small, although i would like a fatter trunk.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
ok upon futher looking at this tree i need some advice. Who would jin the top branch, put in a deeper pot for the cascade branch. Its hard to see but looking at the pic the cascade brach start behind the main trunk and curves around to where you see it now. I know this tree has alot of potential, just trying to find out how much potential i have to make it so. Any ideas are always welcome. I do have until spring to decide. Also i might have been mistaken on the mame catagory..It might be to big for that.

Rick

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
ok upon futher looking at this tree i need some advice. Who would jin the top branch, put in a deeper pot for the cascade branch. Its hard to see but looking at the pic the cascade brach start behind the main trunk and curves around to where you see it now. I know this tree has alot of potential, just trying to find out how much potential i have to make it so. Any ideas are always welcome. I do have until spring to decide. Also i might have been mistaken on the mame catagory..It might be to big for that.

Rick

Well...what do you want to make it into? That's the beauty of bonsai; its your vision that counts.

Most young P. Nana aren't terribly versatile, and usually present either an awkward informal upright or a predictable cascade. Fortunately, this tree still offers both options.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 113

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow Brian nice virt's thanks. I pretty sure im going to go with something like pic 1.I cant see chopping that top.not just yet anyway..thanks for your input.

Rick

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice little tree with lots of promise. I had these until last year's hard winter and my poor health; both started out as something else.

Attachments

• MINI_000.JPG
    MINI_000.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 111
  • MINI_007.jpg
    MINI_007.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 103

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice little tree with lots of promise. I had these until last year's hard winter and my poor health; both started out as something else.
I
Im hoping being in cold storage out of the elements it will come through ok

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well...what do you want to make it into? That's the beauty of bonsai; its your vision that counts.

Most young P. Nana aren't terribly versatile, and usually present either an awkward informal upright or a predictable cascade. Fortunately, this tree still offers both options.

Something like the first pic is what i'm invisioning. with the tree in the pic setup as the front. And by sitting just looking at the pic just like i do the tree i know how to make that happen. thanks again Brian.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This tree is going to go through a major change this spring. I have decided to take it out of its small pot, so it can grow larger. I will repot in the spring and then let it rest for 3 growing seasons doing nothing but watering and feeding. I hope to make this a very nice juniper as it does have potential.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This tree is a little to big for mame.how do I change the name of the title.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
and i was looking at the tree, pulled some foliage back on the lower branch and found out how they got that bend in it. They didnt take the time to bend it properly, the just split the branch at the trunk. So now maybe this branch get a jin.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
ok i got a vision in my head for what i want for the tree. I am going to tilt the tree a little to bring the lower branch up some, then i'm going to bend the lower branch up and back more to get it up some more. I need to let it grow out a few growing seasons to try to get a branch on the right side. If i cant get one then i will have to try to graft a branch in that spot. I wish i knew how to do virt's so i could show what i mean, but i dont.

Rick

Top Bottom