My Handcrafted Bonsai Stand Pictures

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Chris and I make handcrafted bonsai stands on my etsy page ComfortTree at http://www.etsy.com/shop/comforttree. My wife and I have been partners in woodworking for over 30 years now and we love doing custom work and creating beautiful artistic wood pieces. Here is some of our work and thanks for stopping in, would love to hear from you.

Sincerely,
Chris - http://www.etsy.com/shop/comforttree.jpgspeakersfront.jpg1side.jpg4front.jpg

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
first let me start out by saying that it's good to be able to see different iideas. So I'm glad you decided to promote your stands here.

I think in the future as your artistic "juices" begin working, you might want to show off your ideas with bonsai on them. that would take away any second thoughts of the viewers as to how they would look with trees on them.

While in my learning on display, the theme of simplicity is oft repeated so as not to detract from the subject. Yet like pots, tables can use a little embelishment to add some compliments to the subject.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
As I relooked at your photos with my bonsai hat off ( so to speak) I could see photo #1 used as an avantgaard suiban/stand for a suiseki nestled in dry sand. What would be helpful is a way to figure out how to use the basic stand each time but be able to enlarge or reduce the box that would be filled with sand to better highlight the proportions of the displayed stone.
back to bonsai, I could imagine #3 with it's enhanced block feet with something of a bonsai with a short stocky strong masculine feeling to it to seem well anchored.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This will sound blunt but I really mean well.

As much as I love simplistic stands...they still have to be artistic and show some higher level of craftsmanship. Except the 2nd which were routed, these looked like blocks of wood glued/nailed together then sanded and stained/painted. Something almost anyone with a saw and hammer can do. To me, it screams quick and easy = "mass production".

Sorry, I hope you take this constructively and rethink your strategy...if you want to hit the high end market.

Look at high end stands and you will see what I mean. Good luck!!!

(almost sorry I have to make this post)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
interesting to note the different "styles" of contributing.....

Dario and i both said the same thing.....maybe mine was too diplomatic in post 2, paragraph 3

Juniperific

Seedling
Reaction score
NIce

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication- Leonard De Vinci.

I think they are very nice.

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Chris, I agree with Dick that the stands need bonsai on them to display correctly. The choice of stands is also important. Speakerstands just won't do the trick. Looking at your website, there are quite a few that I like. Again, as said, simplicity is key.

KandyTaler

Seed
Reaction score
I'm glad you decided to promote your stands here.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Kandy Taylor's spam notwithstanding, I would certainly use the fourth stand for a bonsai.

The first might work as a suiban for the non-traditional (but suiseki devotees tend to be VERY traditional). The tall stands tend, I think to be too heavy boned. They need delicacy.

Top Bottom