My Happy Little Buxus microphylla 'harlandii'

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, okay this probably doesn't belong on the Flowering Trees forum. I've had this slow growing boxwood about three years and I will probably never get to see it as bonsai but wow what a show of flowers it has this year! I just had to share it for those that don't get to see a Boxwood with such wonderful flowers. Enjoy!

Buxus microphylla 'harlandii'.JPG

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Yeah, okay this probably doesn't belong on the Flowering Trees forum. I've had this slow growing boxwood about three years and I will probably never get to see it as bonsai but wow what a show of flowers it has this year! I just had to share it for those that don't get to see a Boxwood with such wonderful flowers. Enjoy!

View attachment 94251
Nice!

Reactions: Vin

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Harlandii is the fastest growing boxwood. You should be able to develop it quickly. Hard not love these guys...cork bark, tiny leaves, fast growth and horizontal root growth...love them.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Harlandii is the fastest growing boxwood. You should be able to develop it quickly. Hard not love these guys...cork bark, tiny leaves, fast growth and horizontal root growth...love them.
Weird.. Mine hasn't grown more than a couple inches in nearly three years and the trunk hasn't changed a bit. Maybe it's time for a repot with some different soil.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
:eek: that's a lot of flowers for such a small bush. Do these flowers last long?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
:eek: that's a lot of flowers for such a small bush. Do these flowers last long?
I'm not sure Max. It's never had this many before and they are usually barely visible. The weather this year must be to it's liking? I'm going to get some better quality photos this weekend if they're still there.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks John! The plant was gifted to me and was reported to be the only one in the County. Not sure about that but it sounds good anyway ;)
I've got several...they do well and are pretty old...started in the 70's but lived their entire lives in the 2 gallon nursery containers...1-2" trunks now. I have not experienced fast growth by any means...typical boxwood...one pruning a year is about all I can manage, but I do like the variety very much!!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boxwoods kind of smell like cat pee.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Always thought boxwood smelled like the do-it-yourself hair perms from the 80s.
RMJ= cat pee...
You guys are going to make go out and give it a good sniff aren't you? I'll report my findings. On a side note, the most pleasantly aromatic plant I have is my Tea Olive. I love the smell of that thing!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You guys are going to make go out and give it a good sniff aren't you? I'll report my findings. On a side note, the most pleasantly aromatic plant I have is my Tea Olive. I love the smell of that thing!
They are nice. We had one by the front door that greeted you on the way in. Smelled like sweet oranges.
Eleagnus in the fall is up there too.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always thought boxwood smelled like the do-it-yourself hair perms from the 80s.
RMJ= cat pee...
I don't know. When in a nursery with a lot of boxwoods I always am reminded of the cat lady that lived down the road.
Go sniff your box Vin and tell us your verdict. I would go sniff mine but it's buried in snow and probably won't be giving out its full aroma. If you had some cat pee to compare it with that would be great.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I gave it a pretty good sniff and got nothing. Then I cranked it up a bit and gave it the hurricane sniff. There is a very slight sweet smell but definitely not cat wizz. When my Japanese and Korean boxwoods flower I'll give them a try in the name of research. Final results TBD :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When in a nursery with a lot of boxwoods I always am reminded of the cat lady that lived down the road.

They had Feral Cats in there at night...

Japanese and Korean boxwoods flower I'll give them a try in the name of research.

Don't bother - they have no scent unless you crush the foliage and smell your hand - smells like wet leaf.

Grimmy

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They had Feral Cats in there at night...

Don't bother - they have no scent unless you crush the foliage and smell your hand - smells like wet leaf.

Grimmy
Thank You! My wife thinks I'm crazy enough already by the way I look after my trees. The last thing I need is for her to Baker Act me for sniffing all the flowers. :rolleyes:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank You! My wife thinks I'm crazy enough already by the way I look after my trees. The last thing I need is for her to Baker Act me for sniffing all the flowers. :rolleyes:
Man dude!
It is called bonsai Nut for a reason.
You got it bad.

Top Bottom