My Hurricane Michael Update

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm glad you are among the lucky ones Vin. The house of one of my brothers was totaled.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, with the exception of a sucky mobile hotspot I've had no internet since October 11th. Today we finally had our cable hooked up and we have internet and cable TV! The tarps have been holding up and I should have a new roof in the next 30 days. Once the new roof is on we can start repairing the ceilings inside. We're getting there, slow but sure.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Well, with the exception of a sucky mobile hotspot I've had no internet since October 11th. Today we finally had our cable hooked up and we have internet and cable TV! The tarps have been holding up and I should have a new roof in the next 30 days. Once the new roof is on we can start repairing the ceilings inside. We're getting there, slow but sure.

That is awesome news Vin. Happy New Year!

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, not much to look at but today the power company finally got around to replacing our street light just shy of 11 months after the hurricane. Now if I can just find someone to do concrete, vinyl siding and drywall work. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of work from Hurricane Dorian so the contractors will be on the move. So frustrating...

Street Light.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well, not much to look at but today the power company finally got around to replacing our street light just shy of 11 months after the hurricane. Now if I can just find someone to do concrete, vinyl siding and drywall work. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of work from Hurricane Dorian so the contractors will be on the move. So frustrating...

View attachment 261019
My brothers just got their roofs done after both having to sue their insurance companies. My other brother lost his entire house. He is still fighting the insurance company.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

View attachment 261019
The sky in this photo is stunning...that I almost missed the point of the photo. Dang...we up north don't know the gist of what you guys face down there trying to recover...my heart goes out to you and others in the same boat. And pray that some stick around and get the jobs done where there is need. Instead of pulling out and going to the next site of disaster.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad you and your family are safe. We have a huge typhoon coming through on Saturday. Time to move my trees.....

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glad you and your family are safe. We have a huge typhoon coming through on Saturday. Time to move my trees.....
I moved as many as I could into the garage before the storm. Initially, I lost just a few but since then I've lost quite a few more and many of my trees are really struggling. I really think our agricultural zone has shifted. The only thing I can think of is the soil temperature is too high. I lost a Chinese Elm 2 weeks ago that I've had for 7 years. The leaves turned brown in a matter of a few days and that was it. No green under the bark so I know it's gone. Anyway, I wish you the best with the approaching storm.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The sky in this photo is stunning...that I almost missed the point of the photo. Dang...we up north don't know the gist of what you guys face down there trying to recover...my heart goes out to you and others in the same boat. And pray that some stick around and get the jobs done where there is need. Instead of pulling out and going to the next site of disaster.
If I took that photo before the storm you wouldn't be able to nothing but trees. That tree to the right of the light pole is coming back and in a few years should have a pretty nice canopy again. The sunsets have been really nice to look at since the storm since most of the trees aren't blocking the horizon.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I moved as many as I could into the garage before the storm. Initially, I lost just a few but since then I've lost quite a few more and many of my trees are really struggling. I really think our agricultural zone has shifted. The only thing I can think of is the soil temperature is too high. I lost a Chinese Elm 2 weeks ago that I've had for 7 years. The leaves turned brown in a matter of a few days and that was it. No green under the bark so I know it's gone. Anyway, I wish you the best with the approaching storm.
Truly very sorry to hear that. I really can't imagine the difficulty you guys are going through but my hopes and prayers are with you.
The weather seems to be going nuts in lots of places. Please keep yourself and your family safe.
I hope that as many of your trees as possible pull through. Keep your chin up because you are in our thoughts.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Truly very sorry to hear that. I really can't imagine the difficulty you guys are going through but my hopes and prayers are with you.
The weather seems to be going nuts in lots of places. Please keep yourself and your family safe.
I hope that as many of your trees as possible pull through. Keep your chin up because you are in our thoughts.
That's very nice of you to say; it means a lot. We're doing fine but it hard to believe we're even still taking about it almost a year later.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
From what I gather from my brothers, Panama City has lost the majority of its trees and green. Without the buffering from the trees, the ground now responds more like West Texas. Things heat up in a hurry under the day sun. Your trees are getting baked this summer.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That's very nice of you to say; it means a lot. We're doing fine but it hard to believe we're even still taking about it almost a year later.
When we got hit by Rita in my area, things don't calm down until 3 years later.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From what I gather from my brothers, Panama City has lost the majority of its trees and green. Without the buffering from the trees, the ground now responds more like West Texas. Things heat up in a hurry under the day sun. Your trees are getting baked this summer.
This is just an educated guess but I would say we lost somewhere between 70 and 80 percent of our mature trees in the Panama City area. I would sell nearly every tree I own right now if there was someone to buy them and start over again in a few years when things settle down.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
that is stunning that recovery is plodding so slowly up there. FLA should be really good at this by now. I think there is some merit to what you said about the environmental changes since then, less wind resistance, less cooling shade trees probably lead to changes at least in the short term. I know when it happened here it was horrible for quite a while.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
that is stunning that recovery is plodding so slowly up there. FLA should be really good at this by now. I think there is some merit to what you said about the environmental changes since then, less wind resistance, less cooling shade trees probably lead to changes at least in the short term. I know when it happened here it was horrible for quite a while.
Being in the FL Panhandle in a small city I think many have just thought we're all back to normal again. Nothing made that more clearer than the coverage on Dorian. Hurricane Michael was barely even mentioned in most of the national news coverage. Don't get me wrong, there has been a lot of progress but there is a long way to go.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Being in the FL Panhandle in a small city I think many have just thought we're all back to normal again. Nothing made that more clearer than the coverage on Dorian. Hurricane Michael was barely even mentioned in most of the national news coverage. Don't get me wrong, there has been a lot of progress but there is a long way to go.
well once we've been thru it we cringe every time it happens somewhere. We dodged a bullet this week, hope the rest of the season goes the same. I've personally had about all I can take of it.

Top Bottom