My Ikea Ginseng Ficus: An Autopsy

BebeDurcir

Seed
Reaction score
My ginseng ficus, Clotilde, is dead. She was my first and I had her for over a year. Only recently I noticed all her new leaves had fallen off and when I went to investigate, her trunk felt water logged. The photos tell the story better. My partner says I can take the stems that have green nubs and try and salvage them, but does that mean cutting them and putting them in soil? Water? Also, what can I do to avoid killing my next ginseng ficus? She was doing so well and then :oops:. Thank you all for your advice!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 59

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
👆 That's a good place to start.
Definitely over watered to death. If there are still green healthy shoots on the ends of the branches, there's still hope to save the tree, but you'll lose the big roots. Ficus are tough, and will root fairly easily.
Where were you keeping it? Inside? Outside? Lots of sunlight? Ficus can live in shade or even indoors, but do much better with plenty of light.

Find a pot with drainage holes, and some well draining soil- something without too much organic matter that could keep the rot going. Gently pick out the rotten bits, then replant the rest. Jab a wooden/bamboo chopstick or skewer into the soil and leave it there like a dipstick to check the moisture level. Water thoroughly only when the soil is all but dry. You might put something around the tree to hold in humidity so it doesn't dry out while starting new roots. Cut the bottom off a clear bottle and place it over it like a tiny greenhouse.

If this one doesn't come back, now you know how to manage the next one a little better. Don't give up!
Good luck!

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Terrible case of root rot, to be honest, keep I would keep away from "ginseng" Ficus ( ginseng ficus dont exist they are just a comercial name) better go for Chinese elms, Tiger bark Ficus or anything really

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Terrible case of root rot, to be honest, keep I would keep away from "ginseng" Ficus ( ginseng ficus dont exist they are just a comercial name) better go for Chinese elms, Tiger bark Ficus or anything really
I still think the guy who thought of the idea of grafting two crappy ficus together in mass quantity and sell to the world as bonsai is a genius. A buck fifty to get the grafted creation done in China, a fifty cent crappy pot, and fifty cent for transport. Now we can sell them for 25 bucks a piece.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You watered it to death. The soil looks like its mostly mud. That is bad news for ficus. If it was kept inside, that makes the problem worse.

Top Bottom