my in-ground bonsai

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i hard cut some trees on my property about two mos ago. i plan on leaving them in the ground until the spring unless convinced otherwise...i have no problem
waiting until the spring before repotting. i had to clear the land around the cuts recently and will use this area for training/in-ground trees. they only got
the surrounding opened up so now they get a lot of light and im watering them.

in one pic, disregard the cut American Holly, theres a maple cut in front of it.

here is holly looking like its growing from my hardcut maple, that one is a sugar or red maple i think
ZZEqzzV.jpg

i plan to go and cut/carve the dead wood knobs you can see on one of them today (okay to do?)

norway i think for these
8a8icAg.jpg

i know the pros and cons of the Red Maple and Norways I have going, but i enjoy them regardless.

heres a twin trunk lilac thats getting growth on the side branch...see the ground i worked recently. removed the holly (will landscape bonsai this bigger holly, well
see depending on light though. advice on the twin lilac?

sNLLNE9.jpg

keep in mind i have some amazing nebari covered on all these...really excited to dig them eventially. elephant feet and some large air-root on the knobby one...

bad contrast

VmBh6G1.jpg

the little tree with supports is a wild Yaupon Holly i put there a week or so ago.

thanks in advance

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
also, would you believe that 2 days of clearing the holly and decades worth of weeds and growth i have only one non-itchy poison ivy blister?? i always thought i didnt get it bad, this confirms it, should be covered with ivy right now. i wore jeans and an undershirt...its on my forearm

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That one non-itchy poison ivy blister is the warning you have been sensitized. Next time you enounter poison ivy, you possibly can have a strong reaction. Reaction to poison ivy tends to increase with repeat exposure. At least it did with me.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That one non-itchy poison ivy blister is the warning you have been sensitized. Next time you enounter poison ivy, you possibly can have a strong reaction. Reaction to poison ivy tends to increase with repeat exposure. At least it did with me.

ill keep that in mind for sure, thanks

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
are the pics distorted for people viewing this thread?
i might have to nail down whats going on with my camera phone settings or upload sizes.
seems like a modern, nice message board... im a longtime vwvortex and toyota 4runner forum guy, never had the photo issue before

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, the photos do look a bit distorted, like maybe they were cropped, but the "check box" to preserve aspect ratio was not checked. Normally my images post without distortion. I don't know why yours got distorted.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
good to know, thanks, ill look for that checkbox...now the 'edit' option i used at bottom left of first post is gone, i see only 'report' now...ugh lol thanks Leo

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did not realize that. I have not had an issue with poison ivy ever. Good to know that it may give me a one time warning.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i hard cut some trees on my property about two mos ago. i plan on leaving them in the ground until the spring unless convinced otherwise...i have no problem
waiting until the spring before repotting. i had to clear the land around the cuts recently and will use this area for training/in-ground trees. they only got
the surrounding opened up so now they get a lot of light and im watering them.

in one pic, disregard the cut American Holly, theres a maple cut in front of it.

here is holly looking like its growing from my hardcut maple, that one is a sugar or red maple i think
ZZEqzzV.jpg

i plan to go and cut/carve the dead wood knobs you can see on one of them today (okay to do?)

norway i think for these
8a8icAg.jpg

i know the pros and cons of the Red Maple and Norways I have going, but i enjoy them regardless.

heres a twin trunk lilac thats getting growth on the side branch...see the ground i worked recently. removed the holly (will landscape bonsai this bigger holly, well
see depending on light though. advice on the twin lilac?

sNLLNE9.jpg

keep in mind i have some amazing nebari covered on all these...really excited to dig them eventially. elephant feet and some large air-root on the knobby one...

bad contrast

VmBh6G1.jpg

the little tree with supports is a wild Yaupon Holly i put there a week or so ago.

thanks in advance

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I did not realize that. I have not had an issue with poison ivy ever. Good to know that it may give me a one time warning.

as of now the blister is starting to dry up, ZERO itch still. wonder if a big precursor...at 33 years old and amount of time ive been in the woods
im somewhat surprised by that and hope it isnt the case lol

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe it's similar to how people have developed a bee sting allergy to getting stung a lot. I think there are arguments for food allergies also being developed due to over-exposure to certain ingredients.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
as of now the blister is starting to dry up, ZERO itch still. wonder if a big precursor...at 33 years old and amount of time ive been in the woods
im somewhat surprised by that and hope it isnt the case lol

I'm not a physician. I just know as a kid, I could roll in poison ivy with zero reaction. When I was in my early 40's I got into some poison ivy helping clear brush for a friend. That's when I had the "warning signs". Later that summer, I had a second run in with poison ivy, I had what I now know is a moderate reaction. I would then get some poison ivy every year, usually not too bad, but annoying.

The first year we had the farm, one of the "kids", threw some green poison ivy vines that had been ripped out of the shrubbery, threw them in the campfire. I got caught in the smoke. I was just shy of needing hospitalization. Breathing was difficult for 2 weeks. All my exposed skin was inflamed, blistered and itching. It was the near the worst 2 weeks of my life. Thankfully the cortisone really helped. Self administered alcohol helped keep me in a fog that got me through the crisis. Ever since even minor exposure to poison ivy causes me to have a medium to severe reaction.

Today I keep bottles of Tec-Nu around. It is a deodorized soap solution made from kerosene. If applied to exposed skin within 24 hours of being exposed it actually can lift the oils from the poison ivy out of the skin. This can completely avoid a reaction, or minimize the reaction. Key is a soap that contains de-odorized kerosene to lift the oil, there are several brands that have this.

Other key take away is that as we age, the way our bodies react to allergens like poison ivy can change. Not everyone will become sensitive to poison ivy. In fact 2/5 the population stays immune to poison ivy. But the other 3/5ths of us will at some point become sensitive. If you are lucky, great, but be warned, you can become sensitized, and the change may catch you by surprise.

Top Bottom