My Initiation Into Bonsai Noobcraft

PokeyBear83

Seedling
Reaction score
This is my Tiger Bark Ficus (Ficus Microcarpa)

I am new so this is the plan. Water every Monday and Thursday, misting every morning around 7am. Feeding once a month on the first of the month with 8-10 pellets of biogold placed beneath the surface in spring and summer and once every 2 months in autumn and winter. Trimming back the shoots once it grows 6 or so leaves long, scaling back to 2 leaves short when necessary. I plan to repot in spring of 2024. Is this a solid plan? Should I be using liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks in the summer and once a month in the winter instead of biogold? I prefer the biogold. Is there anything I am missing here?
I live in New England and my window looks out to the south east so I get direct sunlight from dawn until 1230pm or so in the summer and I am thinking I will get more in the winter because the sun will be lower in the sky, not sure though. Is this going to be enough light? Should I rotate the tree every week?
Here is a pic of my tree, supplies and place where the tree will live. I am not able to bring it outside during the day nor could I move it to another window per living situation.
Any feedback or advice is welcome, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 52

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't mist it, just water every morning.

Welcome to Crazy!

Someone else got to using a defunct aerogarden LED, they work well. (Half the thread graft points cuz I don't remember who or where, they get the other half if they see this)

Any lilightll work.

Sorce

PokeyBear83

Seedling
Reaction score
I got an update on my journey...... Okay so I went ahead and purchased an LED grow light to supplement the darker hours of the day and it is working out great, my tree seems to be loving it. Also, I found out that I need to water it every day or so to keep the very porous soil moist. So far the older leaves have retained their dark green color and new lighter green shoots are growing rapidly so the feeding seems to be good. The only problem I seem to have is the gnats, sometimes I let the soil dry out for 36 hours or so to help keep them off but I have only seen a couple here and there, I hope I do not have a fungus problem....everything looks good so I'm not sure I do but I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for fungus.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You'll always have fungus with dirt. It's part of it. Comes with the territory so to speak.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorry that's the limit of my contribution, I haven't had success fighting fungus gnats.

When yoy repot, putting it in applicable bonsai soil should eliminate the gnat problem

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Peroxide is pretty decent for gnat control.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
NoobCraft? Lol! That's awesome..

Someone will be along shorty to Knight you with Primordial Noobness!

Arise! Sir Pokeybear83.

Sir Bonsai.jpg

NoobCraft should be a Video & a Board game. I also want Bugs bunny to Knight me so I'm a little jealous. 😁

And Welcome to the Board Knight!

PokeyBear83

Seedling
Reaction score
NoobCraft? Lol! That's awesome..

Someone will be along shorty to Knight you with Primordial Noobness!

Arise! Sir Pokeybear83.

View attachment 441766

NoobCraft should be a Video & a Board game. I also want Bugs bunny to Knight me so I'm a little jealous. 😁

And Welcome to the Board Knight!
LOL thanks you just made my day LULZ

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I used some yellow sticky fly paper when I had some and it definitely majorly cut back on the gnat problem. I reduced my watering too but that really set the plant back I wouldn’t recommend it.

PokeyBear83

Seedling
Reaction score
I used some yellow sticky fly paper when I had some and it definitely majorly cut back on the gnat problem. I reduced my watering too but that really set the plant back I wouldn’t recommend it.
Thanks I will try the fly paper, yea I water every day and mist once or twice a week wasn't going to change the, plant loves it to much...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks I will try the fly paper, yea I water every day and mist once or twice a week wasn't going to change the, plant loves it to much...
Yellow sticky paper can help get rid of Fungus Gnats, White Flies, Aphids, Mosquitos, Leaf Miners, Thrips. They are attracted to the color yellow, like most flowers have.

I get fruit flies every fall and use this method which works well for me.

The vinegar trap, which is simple and cost-effective to create. Simply place a few ounces of apple cider vinegar, a few drops of dish soap, and a tablespoon of sugar in a small bowl and stir. Set your bowl in an area where gnats are prevalent, the smell attracts them and the dish soap doesn't allow them to leave.

You should only water when it needs it. Not on a schedule or routine.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Yes to the vinegar trap. I use apple cider vinegar. Instead of buying the sticky trap, you can use yellow note paper or “post its” and put vaseline on it attached to a shish kabob skewer.

Personaly, I think watering ever day is too much. If you start getting yellowing leaves inside the branches…..

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a LED grow for my ficus and have read your post. I wonder what system did you buy?
Also, what fertiliser are you using at the end?

Thanks

PokeyBear83

Seedling
Reaction score
Just an LED grow light there are many of them on Amazon for cheap money…and as far as the soil i couldn’t tell you as it’s the soil that came with plant. It’s very rocky and porous and needs to be watered daily so I think it’s a blend of lava rocks and other materials not sure I’m still new. When it comes time to repot though I will be doing my research thoroughly before buying any soil.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have heard potato slices in the soil for gnats and I have used cinnamon sprinkled on soil for gnats (it worked ok not a magic fix).

Top Bottom