My introduction thread

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I realized from the beginning that there was some confusion between the Chinese Elm and the Zelkova - when I purchased it was originally listed as a Chinese Elm, but had the Zelkova name in the description and invoice. The treatment seems to be fairly similar. It's hardiness was one reason I went with it for my first purchase, and I am keeping it outside - only planning to bring it in if we get some freakish -60F weather this winter or something. I'm assuming the peaty soil was used to protect moisture levels during shipping - and will plan to repot in the spring.

Looking forward to this journey!

In western Montana you'll need to provide winter protection for that tree. I'd ask for advice from mermbers that live in your kind of climate.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'd really like a 4 season tree. Meaning flowers in the spring, green in the summer, fruit in the fall, and bare branches in the winter. I understand that this may not be possible with any tree but that's the dream.

Realistically, it depends on the fruit. If the fruit is large I'd prefer a flowering variety and would plan on removing all but a very few (possibly just one) fruits. If the fruit is small, as in a key lime or crabapple, I'd prefer a fruiting variety and would attempt to keep it proportional to it's larger fruiting cousins.

I'll give Dave Wilson's website a look. I've found out recently that it's illegal to import a lot of fruit trees from a lot of states into California so I may have to find this tree another way. I'll have to do some investigations. Honestly though, I think I'm going to take the advice of so many here and hold off on the fruit trees and expensive stock until I know a bit more...'course I say that now, who knows what'll happen when I see the right tree before that time.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
dave wilson is from like Modesto area(somewhere over there), so import could be as easy as going to the nearest garden center now, and piggy backing on their order. Most retail nurseries in nor cal carry their trees.

Also, hawthorne has good flowers, nice fall color and berries for most of the winter.

have fun

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh, your right. They are in Cali., and they deliver to a nursery here in town. Not within easy walking distance but I can probably manage to make it there once in a while.

Hawthorne is a new plant for me. I'll look into that also. I like persistent fruit.

Thanks for all the help,
Dale

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had a funny picture jump into my head as I walked the dog tonight. I saw a tiny Maple with a little hypodermic needle stabbed into it with the worlds smallest bucket hanging underneath. While I would never actually do that, it does put it into the edible category and more in tune with my goal for the back yard.

On a side and off topic subject I am ordering some Gooseberry cuttings this weekend that will eventually replace the bougainvillea we have in the back yard now. At that point the only thing we'll have that's not edible will be the giant bird of paradise.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I went to the nursery today. They have just about everything on my wish list, kind of. I asked about trident maples and they said they MIGHT be able to get one, the Chinese Elm they showed be had it's first branch above my head, the genetic dwarf peaches were horribly grafted, the crabapple were in bloom but they were grafted way high up on the rootstock making their first branch some 5 feet high, and lastly the flowering cherry were grafted the same as the crabapple but some had back budding on the rootstock (one in particular had died but the rootstock had budded and might make a decent Sumo type tree).

I also found this silverberry. I though it might have potential so I took pictures. What do you think?
silverberry.jpgsilverberrytrunk.jpg

Regards,
Dale

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd pass on the silver berry. None of the current branches are usable so you have to cut it to just a trunk line. They don't heal large wounds well and that many woulud probably cause a lot of die back.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks, I will pass on it. It was tempting because they are only $9. I think I will inquire more about the Chinese Elm. I don't want the one they have but if they have that one it stands to reason they can get another, possibly shorter, one.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Chinese elms are easy to find. I think House of Bonsai in Lakewood is the closet bonsai nursery to you and they'll have tons. If you're ever in the valley you could see me or Roy at Fuji Bonsai.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the invite Bob,

I will be Ballooning out in Apple Valley on the Sunday the 21st (I may very likely head up on the 20th). What are your weekend hours? I will check out the House of Bonsai this week.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
(one in particular had died but the rootstock had budded and might make a decent Sumo type tree)

Called the nursery today and talked to the Manager. He was very generous and let me have this "dead" tree for $10. It'll be a number of years before I do anything with it but I knew he'd just throw it out anyway. He told me as much when I went to pick it up. Worst case scenario; I have a $10 cherry wood walking stick.

CorinneL

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Thanks!

"Think twice about bringing the tree inside even in the deepest winter cold. Doing so for more than a day or so will probably mean you're going to be stuck with it inside for the remainder of the winter, as warm indoor temps will bring it out of dormancy. Better to find a place outside that avoids the most extreme winter weather, like an unheated garage or shed. Deciduous trees don't need light in dormancy when they have no leaves...The object of overwintering is not to keep the tree "warm," but warm enough to avoid damage, but cold enough to keep it dormant. Temperatures above 35 F or below 10 F are the worry points in winter.

I have it against the south side of the house for now, but also have a shed and unheated garage, so will look there if I feel the need to protect the elm from super frigid weather!

CorinneL

TheDarkHorseOne

Sapling
Reaction score
I envy your place of residence, Corinne. I drove through Montana on my way to a year long stay in Seattle, and it was amazing. I'd never before seen the Milky Way until I came to your fine state. Bison in the wild. Brilliant mountains and scenery. The sky is truly BIG out there.

I wish both you and Frozenoak the best of journeys in your new hobby.

Top Bottom