My Itoigawa Juniper

Brinley123

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my juniper, about 17 years old and to my knowledge, is doing well. Im hoping to make it a semi cascade over the next 2/3 years and keep the canopy quite compact. What are your thoughts on the styling, should I plant it in the ground to build the trunk or keep it as it is, I quite like the proportions to be honest!

Attachments

• 20190712_120519.jpg
    20190712_120519.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 0

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems with a cascade tilt, it will take years to adjust what has already been worked into the pad planes. In that time you'll find another more suitable for semi.

I think you can find a better angle to display the trunk....but not semicasc.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seems with a cascade tilt, it will take years to adjust what has already been worked into the pad planes. In that time you'll find another more suitable for semi.

I think you can find a better angle to display the trunk....but not semicasc.

Sorce
Agreed, perhaps posting pictures from multiple angles including nebari.
As for proportions and planting it in the ground, it appears a nice sacrifice branch was removed too soon.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my juniper, about 17 years old and to my knowledge, is doing well. Im hoping to make it a semi cascade over the next 2/3 years and keep the canopy quite compact. What are your thoughts on the styling, should I plant it in the ground to build the trunk or keep it as it is, I quite like the proportions to be honest!

View attachment 251497View attachment 251498
I would choose a better planting angle for the lower portion of the trunk. Use the top portion as a sacrifice and grow the tree out for five years. Focus on creating as much growth as possible for purposes of cut back and generation of new buds and branches for greater number of options lower down. At the same time when the tree is healthy i would plan and execute a couple of grafts to create 360 degree options for design on the upper two thirds of the lower trunk portion. If you wish you can develop the top and airlayer off later, when its function as a sacrifice leader has been served.
My reasoning is as follows:
1. the short thick wire scarred upper trunk section is a drawback to final design
2. The planting angle needs to improve and adjusting the root base takes time.
3. The tree would benefit from grafts to create design options. Growing it out will provide suitable scion material for grafting.
4. Growing it out will improve the trunk and provide vigour to support bud back in the interior when pruned aggressively. Not enough growth to support that at this time in my opinion.
5. Design options at this point are limited, all of the above steps provide more options to improve the tree.

Top Bottom