My Japanese Red Pine (Akamatsu)

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been enjoying bonsai for a few years now and living in an apartment always with poor sunlight and little space restricted me to only get just a few (and small) trees.
Recently I've been renting space in my local bonsai store so I could leave my trees there as I was worried some of them were not growing nicely and had dull colors on their leafs, I knew I didn't have the best place for them

Now with this new space and better growing conditios I went ahead and bought a big (to me) JRP.. I felt I wanted an "iconic" piece in my "collection". Sharing some pics and a small 360 video of it.

20220512_150332.jpg
20220512_150405.jpg
20220512_153109.jpg
20220512_153120.jpg

2 concerns:
1- I'm kinda lost on how on earth I'm going to repot this tree as my experience on bonsai is restricted to mame and shohin plants
2- styling. I saw potential in this JRP and big trunked ones are very hard to come by here in Brazil so i just bit the bullet

Hope you guys like it!

Thanks!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree has possibilities. However beware Red pine brittleness when making bends. Any Bonsai club or other keeper to help or mentor you locally:confused:.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Tree has possibilities. However beware Red pine brittleness when making bends. Any Bonsai club or other keeper to help or mentor you locally:confused:.
Humm! Is it that much brittle than a JBP? I will keep that in mind!

Got in touch with an bonsai professional locally and we are planning on working on this very soon! in a couple of weeks! Will update the thread with more pics and maybe videos of it as we go!

I'm really anxious about making a fist styling on it! Oh boy! Just hoping not to mess it up hehehe

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't look like a great medium for growing, with the moss, lichen, weeds....your gonna' get this in some good soil and a more appropriate container, right?

Is your weather late summer, early fall temperature there?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice trunkline, and the bark is amazing.

Without seeing in person, I'd remove the lowest branch as it appears too large to lower
and is currently parallel to the second trunk section in your preferred front.
I see this as a tall elegant slender tree.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a great medium for growing, with the moss, lichen, weeds....your gonna' get this in some good soil and a more appropriate container, right?

Is your weather late summer, early fall temperature there?
Oh yes sir! Plan on repotting in better soil! It has been sitting in this big pot for at least 6 years. Already planning on an adequate container, also!

Here where I live we are in the middle/end of Fall. Current temperature is around 4C (39F) to 10C (50F).

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Very nice trunkline, and the bark is amazing.

Without seeing in person, I'd remove the lowest branch as it appears too large to lower
and is currently parallel to the second trunk section in your preferred front.
I see this as a tall elegant slender tree.
I too like the trunkline and bark! Thank you!

The first branch will be lowered with guy wires to break the parallel lines and proper positioning, Me and the bonsai professional whom I will partner with to work on it decided to make it the fisr branch also the main/directional branch, actually!

The trunk is about 6 inches wide (16cm~) so I dont see it as much as a tall and slender tree!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Humm! Is it that much brittle than a JBP? I will keep that in mind!

Got in touch with an bonsai professional locally and we are planning on working on this very soon! in a couple of weeks! Will update the thread with more pics and maybe videos of it as we go!

I'm really anxious about making a fist styling on it! Oh boy! Just hoping not to mess it up hehehe
"Brittleness" seems common opinion on here that is passed on. Do not have one personally. Wishing the best for you and love lower branch😊.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hello!

I've been enjoying bonsai for a few years now and living in an apartment always with poor sunlight and little space restricted me to only get just a few (and small) trees.
Recently I've been renting space in my local bonsai store so I could leave my trees there as I was worried some of them were not growing nicely and had dull colors on their leafs, I knew I didn't have the best place for them

Now with this new space and better growing conditios I went ahead and bought a big (to me) JRP.. I felt I wanted an "iconic" piece in my "collection". Sharing some pics and a small 360 video of it.

View attachment 436758
View attachment 436760
View attachment 436762
View attachment 436765

2 concerns:
1- I'm kinda lost on how on earth I'm going to repot this tree as my experience on bonsai is restricted to mame and shohin plants
2- styling. I saw potential in this JRP and big trunked ones are very hard to come by here in Brazil so i just bit the bullet

Hope you guys like it!

Thanks!
Beautiful tree, Shun.
Yes, it´s dificult to find Red pines as big as this one in Brazil, so enjoy the journey!
I have a couple here in Sao Paulo and they take as much sun as it comes, but they usually are more fussy than JBP; sometimes they are showing signs of stress while the JBP are thriving and very happy.
Please keep us posted about the development of your Akamatsu, parabéns!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

The first branch will be lowered with guy wires to break the parallel lines and proper positioning, Me and the bonsai professional whom I will partner with to work on it decided to make it the fisr branch also the main/directional branch, actually!

The trunk is about 6 inches wide (16cm~) so I dont see it as much as a tall and slender tree!
Whoa! didn't realize how large the trunk was.

Keep us posted, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score

I definitely would not remove that lower first branch. I'm glad you're keeping it.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is brilliant material. I strongly recommend you just clean it up by light pruning and old needle removal and look at it for a few months before you even contemplate going near it with wire.
It has a marvelous natural and wild appearance and it would be a real shame if you lost that.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
thank you guys for your words!
This is brilliant material. I strongly recommend you just clean it up by light pruning and old needle removal and look at it for a few months before you even contemplate going near it with wire.
It has a marvelous natural and wild appearance and it would be a real shame if you lost that.
This plant has already been thinned and is ready to be styled, we are going to make a project for it before touching it!

Beautiful tree, Shun.
Yes, it´s dificult to find Red pines as big as this one in Brazil, so enjoy the journey!
I have a couple here in Sao Paulo and they take as much sun as it comes, but they usually are more fussy than JBP; sometimes they are showing signs of stress while the JBP are thriving and very happy.
Please keep us posted about the development of your Akamatsu, parabéns!
Thank you, Clicio! I'm hoping to do a good job on this bonsai and hopefully in 5-10 years time have it somewhat refined. Lets enjoy the process until there! Obrigado!

Here`s another short video of it

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thank you guys for your words!

This plant has already been thinned and is ready to be styled, we are going to make a project for it before touching it!

Thank you, Clicio! I'm hoping to do a good job on this bonsai and hopefully in 5-10 years time have it somewhat refined. Lets enjoy the process until there! Obrigado!

Here`s another short video of it

Never showed back of tree:rolleyes:.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the traditional styling. Looks really nice......just needs a new container!!!

....start saving, this tree deserves something real suave!!

Cue the Rico Sauve track!! 😬 😬 😬 😬

ptolomeo

Sapling
Reaction score
I would personally keep the first right branch, move the apex more towards the right and shorten the branches on the left side

Top Bottom