My Japanese Red Pine (Akamatsu)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For most part tree looks nice. Please keep lowest branch🥰. Without is too much straight bare trunk including abrupt change of diameter. Let outer part come up just slightly so end even with base should look better. If whole top right branch(-let?)removed tree might look better. As is predictable left/right zig zag of trunk goes too far if this included.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 440327

With a high quality edition on the image.. a little more foliage on the top and without the branchlet on the right side.. I'm thinking the tree will look more balanced without the main branch flowing too far off

what do you guys think?
I enjoy your vision for this tree, good eye. It will be a very visually pleasing tree once the apex and pads fill in. I’m looking forward to seeing this one develop. Well done.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys!
For most part tree looks nice. Please keep lowest branch🥰. Without is too much straight bare trunk including abrupt change of diameter. Let outer part come up just slightly so end even with base should look better. If whole top right branch(-let?)removed tree might look better. As is predictable left/right zig zag of trunk goes too far if this included.
I'm definately keeping the lowest branch, I was wondering about the farthest branchlet on the first branch, the one that is almost cascading. The zigzag is very predictable as is but I guess this effect will be diminished once the apex and other branches get more ramification and volume!

I enjoy your vision for this tree, good eye. It will be a very visually pleasing tree once the apex and pads fill in. I’m looking forward to seeing this one develop. Well done.
Thank you! It was almost all done by the bonsai professional I teamed up with! But learned a lot as I helped him along!

20220604_123412.jpg

Now for the pot.. Any form/shape/pictures as suggestions?

Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 440267

First iteration! I'm quite pleased with the result!

Still debating on cutting off the lowest right branch, its cascading and im not sure im going that direction with this bonsai!

Thanks!
IF you cut that first branch off, I will come down there and hit you upside your head 😁 😁;) That branch is critical to the design and overall feeling for the entire tree, IMO. WIthout it, there is a very wide bare space that will be quite noticeable. This is a great red pine by any standard, North or South American. Don't see many of them and they have a growth habit all their own, more open and spreading and not as dense as black pines. with sweeping, branches. The example below is at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington D.C. It originated in the Japanese Imperial Collection. It's been in training since 1795 and it is HUGE, almost five feet tall with the container. Note the longer, looser branching...

Attachments

• redpine.jpg
    redpine.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 79

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering about the farthest branchlet on the first branch
Aha. "Perhaps" was kept to keep lower branch longer than other fork above it. As long as these not same length should be OK to shorten(both)somewhat🤔. Curious what does trunk stump in back look like now?

Last edited:

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Aha. "Perhaps" was kept to keep lower branch longer than other fork above it. As long as these not same length should be OK to shorten(both)somewhat🤔. Curious what does trunk stump in back look like now?
20220614_145737.jpg

the stump was just shortened and some guy wires attached to it..! still no proper work done to it!

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
IF you cut that first branch off, I will come down there and hit you upside your head 😁 😁;) That branch is critical to the design and overall feeling for the entire tree, IMO. WIthout it, there is a very wide bare space that will be quite noticeable. This is a great red pine by any standard, North or South American. Don't see many of them and they have a growth habit all their own, more open and spreading and not as dense as black pines. with sweeping, branches. The example below is at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington D.C. It originated in the Japanese Imperial Collection. It's been in training since 1795 and it is HUGE, almost five feet tall with the container. Note the longer, looser branching...
I see what you're saying and the image is very clarifying! thank you very much for sharing!

That tree is so beautiful!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as pot concerned: considering deep present container may need somewhat deep pot or shallower growing container while roots worked on in stages for final pot. Danger to kill tree with too much root pruning at one time exists and good health most important of all☺️. IMO tree has both feminine/masculine traits and would aim for final pot with both elements and unglazed.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Hello!
So I got around repotting this akamatsu, had the pot custom made (took me a year to get it finished and delivered but satisfied with the outcome) and now it sits comfortably at around 150lbs (~70kgs) not watered

the pics are not good but I was too tired to move ir around to a decent backdrop

This plant had a similar situation to a Ponderosa Pine that Ryan Neil repotted in this video:
Had decent bonsai soil around with loads of fine roots and the core (shin) had almost none, was all compacted field muddy soil.. So I approached the repotting in similar manner to the Ryan`s video.

Front side

front akamatsu 2023.jpg

Left Side
left akamatsu 2023.jpg

Right side
right akamatsu 2023.jpg

Back side

back akamatsu 2023.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

will keep updating as I go

Top Bottom