My Japanese Red Pine

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was pulling out old needles on this one and thought I'd share a picture...still have to work the upper part of the canopy, but it's been slow around here so what the heck:). By the way, it did get decandled in early July...didn't skip a beat.

Attachments

• DSCF1770.jpg
    DSCF1770.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Such a joy going back and re-reading this thread. JRP (like this one) is def. on my short list of pines. I enjoy my JWP's and my lone JBP is ok, but I'm still more drawn to D. trees. BUT, JRP have always attracted me. Something light and lyrical to them that other pines just don't do as well.
Thanks for the photo update.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A picture from the Carolina Bonsai Expo. My plan for this one is to bring the apex down a bit and round it off.

Attachments

• securedownload_jpg28.jpg
    securedownload_jpg28.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 132

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I worked on this one over a month ago, but I was out taking some pics today, sooo.....:). Just a few branches have wire, a few guy wires, too. If the trunk were heavier, I think this canopy styling would be spot. As it is, I think the canopy might be too heavy for the feminine trunk....I still like it, though:eek:.

Attachments

• DSCF1817.jpg
    DSCF1817.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's looking really good Dave, nice work.

I know that you don't need advice from a beginner like me, but I hope you don't mind me sharing my quick thoughts. I wonder what your thoughts are about bringing in the apex just a bit, going for a flatter top. I left my crude virt below.

Again, I'm only learning and you have much more experience, so I'm more just looking for your thoughts on this.

image.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's looking really good Dave, nice work.

I know that you don't need advice from a beginner like me, but I hope you don't mind me sharing my quick thoughts. I wonder what your thoughts are about bringing in the apex just a bit, going for a flatter top. I left my crude virt below.

Again, I'm only learning and you have much more experience, so I'm more just looking for your thoughts on this.

View attachment 44459

I thought about doing exactly what you have in your virt, but opted to have the apex be a bit more pronounced as I think it helps accentuate the movement of the tree to the left. Of course, with most of my trees, I'll probably do something different next year:eek:. Anyway, we'll see what it looks like in a year, as I hope the needles are smaller, which might make the offending pad on the top a just bit less noticeable. Thanks for the post, Tom.

md4958

Sapling
Reaction score
Very beautiful tree.

Please dont take offense to this, but I think you could find a pot that would compliment it more. The movement of the tree is very feminine to me, and while the pot is very nice itself, seems a bit "blocky" and masculine for this particular tree.

I will agree that in that photo where you re-potted it it looked very nice. The sparseness of the foliage made it look more rugged. However now that it has filled in, I think it does not harmonize as well.

No disrespect intended.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very beautiful tree.

Please dont take offense to this, but I think you could find a pot that would compliment it more. The movement of the tree is very feminine to me, and while the pot is very nice itself, seems a bit "blocky" and masculine for this particular tree.

I will agree that in that photo where you re-potted it it looked very nice. The sparseness of the foliage made it look more rugged. However now that it has filled in, I think it does not harmonize as well.

No disrespect intended.

None taken:). I agree with you that the trunk is feminine in its movement, but it has some masculine qualities as well, mainly a fairly large, old shari half way up the trunk, along with the jins. Whether this pot is too masculine for the tree is a good question. Though another oval pot with rounded sides might be an option, I've got to consider the health of the tree, too, and this one fit the root system best out of what I had to choose from. If you have a suggestion for a pot for this tree, I'd love to see it. Thanks for the post.

Dave

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
something like this maybe??
View attachment 44460

You posted while I was responding to your first post. I'm not sure if I like the lotus pot with this tree...but I agree that the shallower pot improves the image...I'll consider it, or maybe something similar that will work with the current root system.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Wow Kudos to the person who posted earlier about the pot. So diplomatic :)

Aka matsue, no matter how used, in a pot as a bonsai or in a japanese garden IS feminine. I chuckle now about it but I studied under Kyoshe Seike for two years on the subject of japanese gardening. he was not happy with me when he came and visited my garden built after what I had learned from him. An equal number of both red and black pines, made the garden neither male or female. Quite the no-no and the over use of camillia made it definetely not something a samerai would appreciste. Because of the short flower life, it reminded them too much of their own vulnerability to passing in battle.

as I quietly followed this thread, the only thing I disliked about the first pot was it's strong and forceful feet. I think an oval serves it well, something with a reddish hue compliments the bark
and allows the tree to be counter balanced when positioned to allow for the movement.

One of my absolute favorites, I own just one in literati style. There is just one in the weyerhaeuser collection where I volunteer. I think the owner has done a masterful job
in bringing along this tree.

md4958

Sapling
Reaction score
You posted while I was responding to your first post. I'm not sure if I like the lotus pot with this tree...but I agree that the shallower pot improves the image...I'll consider it, or maybe something similar that will work with the current root system.

I agree that the lotus pot is not for everybody, it just happened to be one image I already had saved on my laptop. (I save nice pots as I come across them for later inspiration)

I think the oval would look very nice too.

Another I had saved:

12a41a.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree that the lotus pot is not for everybody, it just happened to be one image I already had saved on my laptop. (I save nice pots as I come across them for later inspiration)

I think the oval would look very nice too.

Another I had saved:

12a41a.jpg

That's what I was envisioning, as well. I have one like it but it's a tannish brown, so not dark enough, I think. I'm always looking for the next best pot, so thanks again.

md4958

Sapling
Reaction score
not sure if this is right, but I think its getting warmer

Attachments

• redpine2.jpg
    redpine2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 48

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dick, as always, thanks for your very kind words. This tree has been an absolute joy to work with, both in its tolerance for me and its ability to respond well to whatever I do to it, and the fact that it still looks good despite having been in my care for more then a couple of years...I truly suspect it deserves the lion's share of credit:eek:.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree. I wonder if others do, as well. Anyone else feel like giving their opinions on the pot(s)?

If that was mine it would be in a 2 inch deep rectangular pot, unglazed, and planted a little offset of center.

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If that was mine it would be in a 2 inch deep rectangular pot, unglazed, and planted a little offset of center.

Grimmy

Can you explain why you would choose a pot like what you've suggested? What about the other pots the tree has actually been in? The pots in the virts from today?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How about these feet? I like the oval that md4958 posted, but not the feet for some reason for your tree. Try looking at this one. Actually this one has both a feminine feel and a bit of texture to add to the feel of the weathered older tree that you are trying to portray with the jin...

Attachments

• DSC05816.JPG
    DSC05816.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom