My JBP

• Thread starter Deleted member 32750
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 32750

I wired my tree out to fan out the branches. This is my first time wiring an entire tree and I definitely need a lot more practice but I think I learned a lot from the first try. I felt more comfortable the further along I went.

Before
9473B0D4-FC09-4315-9432-D19297BDDB34.jpeg

After
IMG_0673.JPG

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wired my tree out to fan out the branches. This is my first time wiring an entire tree and I definitely need a lot more practice but I think I learned a lot from the first try. I felt more comfortable the further along I went.

Before
View attachment 356656

After
View attachment 356655
Lovely tree regardless of what Adair said.

D

Deleted member 32750

Now that March is here and the weather is starting to warm up, my black pine is waking up! The "sheath" around the buds have been opening and I'm noticing green new growth at the bottom of the buds. I'm guessing this is the start of the buds beginning to extend? This is my first spring with a JBP and it is very excited and interesting to see the movement in the tree! I am looking forward to the growing season and warmer weather.

This past weekend I found the time to build a bench for my plants. Here is a pic of my JBP in it's spot for the season

IMG_0700.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 79

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Right now the picture after that and picture #1 are the front. I’ve considered looking at different angles for the front
IMO, Pic 4 followed by pic 8 are the best possible fronts because those show the most pleasing movement.
#4 is best because of the above, plus it shows off some nice nebari and the tree seems to lean toward the viewer.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now that March is here and the weather is starting to warm up, my black pine is waking up! The "sheath" around the buds have been opening and I'm noticing green new growth at the bottom of the buds. I'm guessing this is the start of the buds beginning to extend? This is my first spring with a JBP and it is very excited and interesting to see the movement in the tree! I am looking forward to the growing season and warmer weather.

This past weekend I found the time to build a bench for my plants. Here is a pic of my JBP in it's spot for the season

View attachment 357828
This view is nice too for the reasons I stated for no 4

D

Deleted member 32750

This view is nice too for the reasons I stated for no 4
Yeah I think the pictures from earlier in the thread don’t really do the tree justice because it is looking right at the tree eye level. This picture is looking slightly down at the tree on the bench and it shows more of how I see it in person.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I think the pictures from earlier in the thread don’t really do the tree justice because it is looking right at the tree eye level. This picture is looking slightly down at the tree on the bench and it shows more of how I see it in person.

Actually, the tree is supposed to be viewed as straight on which is how they are normally viewed in a display.
It gives a better perspective of the tree and is better for looking at the structure of the tree. So in that respect, a straight on picture is better.
The last photo is bigger and easier to see the tree than the smaller thumbnails of the first post.

D

Deleted member 32750

Actually, the tree is supposed to be viewed as straight on which is how they are normally viewed in a display.
It gives a better perspective of the tree and is better for looking at the structure of the tree. So in that respect, a straight on picture is better.
The last photo is bigger and easier to see the tree than the smaller thumbnails of the first post.
Good point. Thank you for your feedback

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You have the tips of the branches tilted up. They really should be more level. The new buds will grow up, even if the tips lay out horizontal.

I know, if you do that, some needles will hang down, making the tree look untidy, right? Well, not exactly. When wiring out, that last loop of wire should support the bottom needles, making them point straight out. And they end with a fish hook shape.

I detailed it all out in a thread I put in the resources area.

D

Deleted member 32750

Tree is doing well I will update pictures today once I get a moment free from work.
I have also determined that this is a Japanese red pine not a black pine

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Tree is doing well I will update pictures today once I get a moment free from work.
I have also determined that this is a Japanese red pine not a black pine
How? Buds look kind of red but needles look more like JBP (I can post some JRP bud shots if you want). Are branches brittle? Needles soft? JRP resin has a more lemony scent than JBP. Would be cool if it was JRP, they are awesome trees. Yours is coming along nicely.

D

Deleted member 32750

How? Buds look kind of red but needles look more like JBP (I can post some JRP bud shots if you want). Are branches brittle? Needles soft? JRP resin has a more lemony scent than JBP. Would be cool if it was JRP, they are awesome trees. Yours is coming along nicely.
I purchased under the assumption that is was a Black pine, but started noticing differences between some of my other pines, so I asked the previous owner and he told me red pine. The needles are softer and lighter green than my other JBPs but one of the main give aways for me was the bark and bud color. the bark is very light grey with red/brown undertones and very very flaky. I wonder if it could be a JBP/JRP hybrid? the tree originally came from Brussel's, so I wonder if it was imported and possibly a natural hybrid.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have heard hybrids exist. Here is a side by side of JRP and JBP from today.
6731D05F-7108-4225-BE4C-3B34E87186A1.jpeg

D

Deleted member 32750

I have heard hybrids exist. Here is a side by side of JRP and JBP from today.
View attachment 444436
Yeah I bought some JRP seedlings from Kaede bonsai-en and the buds look just like yours, but the branches on my pine here look just the trunks on the JRP seedlings. Here is a picture of the bark detail of this pine E52D1A38-2658-4C73-BB21-ACA094387025.jpeg9F05F515-9005-45D0-85CD-9F9C93C521A4.jpeg

D

Deleted member 32750

Here are some photos from this season

pre-decandle
19565D40-CCAE-4669-B306-6AEFC56FC3EA.jpeg
Post decandle
443E5AF8-AF77-4F57-A881-B88F71F9DEDE.jpeg

currently have 2 sacrifice branches on the tree one on the apex and one lower on the trunk. The low sacrifice will be cut either this fall or next year and turned into a jin feature

still deciding on the future front but leaning towards this front due to widest nebari and best movement
18060130-1510-46E8-91DE-33E146F628CD.jpeg
Next steps for the tree this year are needle plucking, shoot selection, and wiring in the fall

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Both fronts look good, though using the slanting front means you can lose that first right branch. Lots of good JRP have a literati feel.

D

Deleted member 32750

I went ahead and removed and jinned the low sacrifice branch, as I don’t necessarily want the lower trunk to thicken independently of the upper portion anymore.

Ive been trying to look at this tree from all angles to identify a new possible front as the original front just doesn’t seem interesting to me anymore.

I kept coming back to one side of the tree and one particular angle which I feel shows the best movement throughout the tree, and funny enough as I was reviewing this thread today I realized this was similar to the angle @source suggested when I first posted this tree.

here is what I’m thinking, lemme know what you think.

Attachments

• 01DA848B-87D3-44D7-A7D1-2CA315640D75.jpeg
    01DA848B-87D3-44D7-A7D1-2CA315640D75.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 67
Top Bottom