My Jerry Meislik Natal Fig in Bunzan Pot

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So back in May I posted that Jerry Meislik, of Ficus Fame, had some trees for sale on Wigert's site. Also this year I bought a couple Bunzan pots, also from Wigert's. Frankly, I don't like most Bunzan pots I see but I like this one and its little brother that I also purchased. This pot is probably not its final resting place, but for now I like it very much. After allowing the ficus to grow unchecked for a couple of months, I cut it back today and planted it. I will come back to enhance the styling when plant puts out new growth.
It is very obvious that I am not a photographer and that my staging for photos is very impromptu.
IMG_6677.JPGIMG_6679.JPG

It is in a mix of DE, Sakadama, bark and bio-char. The surface is topped the a coconut fiber I use in terrariums that I much prefer to sphagnum which packs down and turns green. The Microchip Coco mix has both coco chips and chopped coco fiber so it stays in place, looks natural, and drains as well as the bonsai soil but still shades the roots and holds some moisture.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So back in May I posted that Jerry Meislik, of Ficus Fame, had some trees for sale on Wigert's site. Also this year I bought a couple Bunzan pots, also from Wigert's. Frankly, I don't like most Bunzan pots I see but I like this one and its little brother that I also purchased. This pot is probably not its final resting place, but for now I like it very much. After allowing the ficus to grow unchecked for a couple of months, I cut it back today and planted it. I will come back to enhance the styling when plant puts out new growth.
It is very obvious that I am not a photographer and that my staging for photos is very impromptu.
View attachment 452137View attachment 452138

It is in a mix of DE, Sakadama, bark and bio-char. The surface is topped the a coconut fiber I use in terrariums that I much prefer to sphagnum which packs down and turns green. The Microchip Coco mix has both coco chips and chopped coco fiber so it stays in place, looks natural, and drains as well as the bonsai soil but still shades the roots and holds some moisture.
Does the top dressing hold the soil in place well? Been using bark but it still tends to move when I water.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very nice! That ficus has great potential. Are you thinking your "higher" point will be on the RIGHT? (in pictures)... Centered?... or are you going to consider exploring that upper left territory?

Bunzan pots are, for me, hit or miss...

I like this one...

But feel they, personally, "miss" more often than "hit"...

I enjoy the composition... please update as you "make your moves"

🤓

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does the top dressing hold the soil in place well? Been using bark but it still tends to move when I water.
Sorry, I thought I answered this. Yes it stays in place very well. The long fibers in the mix hold it together like a mat after watering.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Natal fig...is this a nickname for natalensis? Assuming yes. Love the canopy shape on this one. Nice pairing with the pot.

What is it with bunzan. I threw mine in one too. An amazing pot for sure. Very nice.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Beautiful tree from a master!

How well would the coco fiber work as a muck ingredient and as a top dressing to hold soil on slab plantings? I use long-fiber sphagnum for this now.

Top Bottom