My JH Elm

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had this jh elm bought for me a couple of months ago. I am very new to bonsai, so I'm seeking opinion of what I have done to it and where I should go next. I only planted it in pot last month and the roots have already taken over the pot. The wound at the base of the trunk was a singular large root which I removed today.

Already cut a few wayward / unwanted branches. But this is the before image.

20200728-_DSC7461.JPG

This the after image. It is bottom heavy but I'm going to leave it until next year before doing any more heavy pruning. I've turned the pot to its new angle. Not sure whether to grow the top foliage together or split to a new right hand branch and new apex. I think the tree wants it that way, what do you think.

WIN_20200801_17_45_53_Pro.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A month ago was summer right!? And Yorkshire is the place @Clorgan told me I have to visit because the people are "rough around the edges"?

Chalk one up for another Summer success!

I think you can afford to let it grow to thicken up, these leaves likely will get rather small, still, I think you can afford a little trunk swelling before starting branches. You really only get one chance to get proportions right.

I'd consider throwing it in a proper air root pruning basket or colander, to set up a good fibrous roots and put on trunk, then potting it bonsai in a year or 4.

Taking one trunk as a cutting or layer to have a second good elm to start with wouldn't be terrible either!

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
A month ago was summer right!? And Yorkshire is the place @Clorgan told me I have to visit because the people are "rough around the edges"?

Chalk one up for another Summer success!

I think you can afford to let it grow to thicken up, these leaves likely will get rather small, still, I think you can afford a little trunk swelling before starting branches. You really only get one chance to get proportions right.

I'd consider throwing it in a proper air root pruning basket or colander, to set up a good fibrous roots and put on trunk, then potting it bonsai in a year or 4.

Taking one trunk as a cutting or layer to have a second good elm to start with wouldn't be terrible either!

Sorce

Oh so rough round the edges, I just spent the week up there, so my roughness has been topped up 😁

@Graft once you figure out what sorce is saying, he's a wise one! He's one to listen to (if you can work out his point 🤔😉)

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Sorce,

Just coming to the end of spring. What do you mean by "before starting branches"?

I have a pond so I have some aquatic baskets. I guess they could do the trick. Although saying that When I potted it I cut off about half of the roots. They are already starting to grow out of the pot up the sides! a very vigorous rooter. I have only just potted it 4 weeks ago. Won't repotting it so soon after harm the tree?

The large single root I took off today I have potted in vermiculite, perlite, peat mix as I have read that you can do root cuttings with elms. If I layer will the existing branch grow back?

And do you think that my composition is a bit generic. I have seen a few JHE bonsais and almost all seem to be broom style so I wanted to do something a little different. Not sure if I have tried too hard!

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh so rough round the edges, I just spent the week up there, so my roughness has been topped up 😁

@Graft once you figure out what sorce is saying, he's a wise one! He's one to listen to (if you can work out his point 🤔😉)
Not sure if his last point was start again :D😢

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Sorce,

Just coming to the end of spring. What do you mean by "before starting branches"?

I have a pond so I have some aquatic baskets. I guess they could do the trick. Although saying that When I potted it I cut off about half of the roots. They are already starting to grow out of the pot up the sides! a very vigorous rooter. I have only just potted it 4 weeks ago. Won't repotting it so soon after harm the tree?

The large single root I took off today I have potted in vermiculite, perlite, peat mix as I have read that you can do root cuttings with elms. If I layer will the existing branch grow back?

And do you think that my composition is a bit generic. I have seen a few JHE bonsais and almost all seem to be broom style so I wanted to do something a little different. Not sure if I have tried too hard!
Hi Sorce,

Mm I think a month ago (1st July) was summer, if not I've got to 27 years old not knowing the seasons of the year and have imparted this false knowledge on near 120 children :rolleyes: (I'm a teacher - I've taught 4 classes of near 30 so far)

Edit - seen you said a couple of months ago, I'm guessing before June 😊

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm from Bridlington (near Hull) so pretty close to you!
Yep, when the family feels it needs a bit of sand between it's toes we either go to Scarbrough, Brid or Cleethorpes. I would love to live near the sea.🕶🧢🐬

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most important, were in no hurry! So it doesn't need to see a basket for a while! If ever!

Proportion is everything! Everyone always, or used to more always, say, "throw it on the ground and thicken It up", which is shallow advice.

Every tree has a potential small end of the spectrum leaf size, which the tree should be proportionate to. Elms, JH in particular, can get right small leaves, so there is a particular size the trunk has to grow to, before beginning the branches, which will hold the leaves. I'd call it a minimum of 3x the size it is now. The bigger the better though. Always.

With such rooting strength, you'll probably find equal top strength, which would make this particular tree worth propogating iMO. Yes start over, again and again every year! Then start selling cuttings!

It is pretty characteristic of a healthy elm to regrow a branch everywhere and anywhere, more than we like usually! So no worries there!

I'd try my hand at a small layer just to build skills and get another good rooting genetics going for yourself, since we're bound to make mistakes, having more is good!

Cheers friend!

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Yep, when the family feels it needs a bit of sand between it's toes we either go to Scarbrough, Brid or Cleethorpes. I would love to live near the sea.🕶🧢🐬

I'd definitely choose Scarborough over Brid 😂 I live in the Midlands now, really do miss the beach!

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Clearly understood @sorce. Many thanks for the useful advice. Much appreciated. I will let it grow for now and re-pot next spring into an aquatic container and do a layer just after.

Cheers!

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd definitely choose Scarborough over Brid 😂 I live in the Midlands now, really do miss the beach!
Brids not that bad! but Cleethorpes is closest for us. Great Fish and Chips!

Top Bottom