My Juniper flowered!!!

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
Well not really. Is this witches butter fungus? What should I do with the juniper. Can it spread to my other trees? AFF9978D-3804-4C24-8879-41A000B34119.jpegC1542F7D-8DF1-4C24-B5E8-852F4C10995A.jpeg7AE2BE39-44D3-401F-A3CC-B85DB16EB10B.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cedar-Apple rust! Treat it with daconil or manzoceb, and keep it away from all Malus genus. Hawthorn are susceptible too. It will always be part of this tree, so keep it isolated so it doesn’t spread to other junipers. If it’s not a good tree, trash it.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Cedar-Apple rust! Treat it with daconil or manzoceb, and keep it away from all Malus genus. Hawthorn are susceptible too. It will always be part of this tree, so keep it isolated so it doesn’t spread to other junipers. If it’s not a good tree, trash it.
I don't know about cedar-apple rust but in here we get pear rust and they say everywhere there is no cure for that so I am not sure any of the chemicals will do anything usable.

Also the spreading is more complicated: what you see on picture will result in spores that can infect apple/hawthorn and live on its leaves without doing much damage to the tree. In fall they create another type of spore that can infect juniper (the infection will manifest itself in spring next year). So there is no way juniper can infect juniper directly - always needs that middle man (middle tree). But the spores (both types) can be carried hundreds of meters by wind so no close proximity is not safe sign.

Regarding being part of the tree. I have 2 junipers I collected that have pear rust. I have like 8 pear trees in my garden but these are of Asian type (Pyrus Pyrifolia - Chinese Pear) which is supposed to be resistant to pear rust so no worries there. Both of these junipers showed these rust blobs for 2 or 3 years in a row after collection. I always removed the branch showing it going up to trunk some. Last year none of them showed this. Waiting this year to see the result - now is the season. Writing this just to say that I am not sure the disease is spread all over the tree - so far it looks to me it might be that only parts are infected.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Is that a collected Eastern Red cedar, aka Juniperus virginiana? They are usually full of cedar apple rust galls that burst into colorful balls of jelly this time of year... one of many reasons I don't recommend the species for bonsai.

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Yes a collected tree from where some roads were being cut in the mountains outside SLC. My neighbors have pear trees. Ill toss the tree and throw a cherry in that pot.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had that same problem...on Eastern Cedar....after awhile I eliminated the trees. It started on a collected tree and spread to other like trees. I thought at first that it was a form of sap. Nope. Bad problem that has no cure. I burned them all. The trees weren’t that great anyway.

Top Bottom