My Juniper Root Over Rock Project 1st Attempt

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I was poking around a nursery today and stumbled upon a rock pile. I ended up finding a rock that I thought would be suitable for ROR. I've had a juniper that I purchased from a nursery, and styled in a cascade form and thought hmm. I originally was going to try and find a rock where I could plant the juniper in. But after seeing this rock, plans changed.

I wish I could've got more pics but having only two hands and trying not to damage the roots on the sharp edges of the rocks made it too difficult. I raked the roots out and washed the soil, off of them. I had several roots that were long enough to position them down the sides of the rock and would reach well into the soil. I wired the tree to the rock in order to hold it down, how I wanted it positioned. In the first photo, I have the tree tilted in the final design. The rock worked really well for this, as it had the perfect angle, for the tree to sit. I wrapped the roots with twisted up Saran Wrap in order to hold the roots to the rock. I then placed the tree in a 3g or so terracotta pot and buried the tree. Now it's in the shade for the next couple of weeks.

This is my first attempt trying a ROR design. There is a lot of room in the pot for the roots to grow. I'll let it grow for a couple years while developing the top of the tree. My thoughts are to train the roots, in order to place the rock in a shallow pot, exposing most of the design.

Now to be patient and keep my fingers crossed that the tree will survive.

Attachments

• 0110172130b.jpg
    0110172130b.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 0202171434.jpg
    0202171434.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 0202171517.jpg
    0202171517.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom