lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1058.jpg

1058-(1).jpg

h1.JPG

h5.JPG

h3.JPGhey guys this is my korean hornbeam it is a beautiful tree but needs a little more work to be a masterpiece in my eyes the tree has a cut which is seems almost healed but still has not really blended how long until you cant really notice this also the trunk i feel is very beautiful but there are some roots that cross they are small but i feel dont belong there can these easily be cut when i repot thanks a lot guy oh and this is my second bonsai and i am a complete beginner

Last edited:
Reaction score
lupe21, in your profile page, you should list where you are from, so everyone will not keep asking...
so, lupe21 where are you from ??? I like the tree alot, whoever styled it did a nice job... In my personal opinion, and from what I can see of the scar, (if you are talking about the one at the base of the trunk...)
that yes, it is going to need some work... I am not as familiar with hornbeams as the others, but If it were my tree I would have already broken out the die grinder on it and would have carved a hole, therefore letting the tree heal in over on itself...
this link might be usefull... good luck
Graham Potter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVpcJCBc14

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sir i live in arkansas i am talking about the scar where the trunk was chopped a long ago at the top to build taper the scar at the bottom does not bother me and really isnt that bad in person what im talking about are the small crossing roots at the bottom at the base that kind of catch your eye but die grinder no way right now maybe a little pruning and maybe repotting next year and taking care of the small crossing roots sir i am just a beginner and i saved my money for this tree ,my first tree which i still have is a trident maple

Reaction score
Yikes!!!! I don't even know where to go with this one... ok first thing I am very glad that you saved up you money to by a very nice tree, you probally did spend alot, I can tell. And you are right, I should not have suggested to you to break out a die grinder on the tree, because clearly this is not something that shoud be taken on by one just starting off...
I count two scars clearly visible, and there is probally one on top, these at some very, very distant future... might need to be addressed ???
As far as telling everyone where you are from, it is more so when you ask someone for advice, they will know where on this great blue planet, you might reside, and be able to give you the help you need.
The roots, yes in my "opinion" should come off, having said that, if it were me I would have to check the rest of the root structure to see what is there and how much???

Lastly, dude what's up with all the "sir" ???

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That is one heck of a tree for a beginner:). Most people playing around with bonsai for decades would love to own a tree like that, me included. The roots you are concerned about can be removed without any problem, either now or when you re-pot. In the meantime, I'd just take care of the tree. Feed it, water it, make sure it is healthy and growing well. Carving out those pruning scars will help them heal, and will give the tree some character, as well. Still, I wouldn't worry about that until next spring. Good luck.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks guys for the advice the cuts really dont bother me but the roots do how will i go about doing this i am buying some tools next week should i dig up just that little bit were im going to cut or the whole tree i think when i cut these it will negate from the scar and focus more on the base and its age should i cut all roots or just the crossing ones thank you guys for the repys and sorry about the sir i just kind of talk to everybody like that

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No digging until you do a proper re-pot next year. You can either sever those two little roots flush with the trunk right now, preferably with a concave pruner, or just wait till next year. If at all possible, try to do the re-pot with someone with some experience. Based on the way the soil looks, you will need to completely change out the soil, which isn't a big deal for deciduous trees. This is a nice tree, so take your time with it.

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks for the reply man i really appreciate the advise and talking to people about bonsai their are no clubs near me and everyone thinks im a nut oh it just a tree but no they dont see the art/beauty, the peace of mind it gives me when comeing home from work and seeing my lovely trees living there peaceful quit life about severing the roots if i cut it from the top per say wouldnt there be some connected under the soil do you think cuting only the ones on the side will be goo or would you cut the middle one thanks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice tree. Dave is right, sever the roots flush if you want, and remove them at the soil level. I bought a KH from Bonsai West a few years ago...they're special trees. Their soil is very retentive at BW, and KH roots are stringy. Go slow on the repot and use good akadama/ lava mix next spring. Congrats on a great tree...post fall colors too!

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The two little roots you highlighted will not have alot below the soil...not a big deal to cut, remove what is above the soil and leave what is below. Beyond that, I wouldn't do anything else until next year, maybe February for you, when you re-pot. If you stick with bonsai, you will realize that patience with your trees is as important as sun, water, and fertilizer. Seriously, I've killed or ruined more trees due to a lack of patience then a lack of water, feed, or proper care in general, combined.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
KH, like most hornbeams, is VERY slow at closing large pruning wounds. The one on your tree was probably made when the plant was originally cut down into a stump from a larger twin trunked tree.

It has not really attempted to close in all that time. If this is an import, that scar is a likely reason is was shipped out...

Anyway, the tree is beautiful anyway, just will take a bit of work to close up the wound.

The fastest and most effective way to do that would be to carve out the wound, and "re-injure" the tissue around the wound with a sharp carving blade, or even a light treatment with concave cutters.

This will re-stimulate the callusing process. To speed up callusing, transfer to a larger pot to allow more root run. Allow it to grow unpruned for a couple of years. Planting it in the ground will accellerate things even more. If a new shoot or two develops at or near the wound, let it grow out as much as possible. It will further stimulate healing in the area.

Of course, if you allow the plant to grow unrestricted for a few years, you will lose the branching as it goes wild. That's really not a big deal, as KH responds very aggressively to extremely hard pruning. Cutting it back to old wood usually produces an explosion of new shoots that can be developed using the cut and grow method.

So, bottom line, if you want to heal the wound, it will take probably five years or so to close the wound and redevelop the branching.

All that said, the tree is beautiful as it is...:D

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
cool dav4 could you post pictures of your hornbeam and i will post pics of my tree when in fall colors

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol thanks would you guys use some type of cut paste with this cut is vaseline fine i will be doing it this week when i pick me up some bonsai trees

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cut paste is optional, but since KH is so slow to close wounds, I'd put some on.

Here is mine; I got it in winter '08, so the fall color shown in '09 was the first I'd seen. I've been working on the ramification, so it's a little coarser for the moment in the 2nd shot, taken last month.

You can also see mine has large cuts on it as well; they're starting to roll over. Someone mentioned exposing the cambium layer a little each year, which I've been doing and it does work. It will take time.

Attachments

• Korean Hornbeam 09 (3).jpg
    Korean Hornbeam 09 (3).jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 49
  • KH 050811.jpg
    KH 050811.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 50

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it is beautiful sir very lovely colors as your other tree very cool especially your hathorne

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey guys i was watering my tree when i came home from work and got to looking at the roots good all are very small and are really not strongly connected to the bonsai could i just cut all these roots because even the long middle one is starting to cross

Last edited:
Reaction score
hey guys i was watering my tree when i came home from work and got to looking at the roots good all are very small and are really not strongly connected to the bonsai could i just cut all these roots because even the long middle one is starting to cross

i'd leave it alone less u repot. does it bother u that much?? u could condition it in a grow box or in the ground for more radial roots in the future...

Top Bottom