My Korean Hornbeam.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is a Korean Hornbeam I picked up on sale a few years ago, mainly because it was in a nice handmade pot that, alone, was worth more then what I paid. The tree itself had an OK base with a bit of taper but not much else. I re-potted it 2 years ago mainly to get it out of the muck it was in. I really didn't do much with it until this past winter where I significantly reduced the apex/shortened the tree and wired some of the branches for shape. The buds just started to move so I re-potted again, and removed some ugly rootage at the same time. It's in another nice handmade pot now. This is my first KH and I know it will never be a stunner, but I'm beginning to like it now:).

Attachments

• DSCF1052.1.jpg
    DSCF1052.1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 130

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the direction this is going, the branch placement is nice, and you got some good wiring started. Thanks for posting it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy. In my 14 years of bonsai, I have worked mostly with conifers. I've certainly had my fair share of deciduous trees in pots at one time or another, but they have mostly been in a continual state of being a pre-bonsai (read that as trunk or nebari development in progress:D). This KH is really the first deciduous tree I've had that is past that stage, meaning I can start working on branching and ramification. We'll see how I do.

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom