My Largest Bald Cypress

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Something I have always thought about with large bonsai like this- especially with a tree like a cypress- Spanish Moss. I think it would be cool to have some hanging off this guy! It would be hard to miniaturize the moss to get it in scale with a smaller tree I am sure, but this guy is large enough I'd expect you could make it work easy... And there isn't a Cypress or old oak, Elm... Anything in the swamps around here that doesn't have loads of Spanish moss hangin from it!

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Dumb question, but how cold hardy are these in your experience? Looking at a quick google search they say zone 4, but you know the internet.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dumb question, but how cold hardy are these in your experience? Looking at a quick google search they say zone 4, but you know the internet.

Michael Dirr rates them as zone 4 cold hardy, and he is about as respected in the horticultural biz as it gets. I also know they are planted in the landscape along the lake front in Chicago, a solid zone 5.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome John. Hurts my back just looking at it.

Question...thse cypress knees in your garden...are they natural or you just placed them there? They are cool. :cool:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Awesome John. Hurts my back just looking at it.

Question...thse cypress knees in your garden...are they natural or you just placed them there? They are cool. :cool:

Those are actually just stuck there...I have an aquarium project in mind for them but just haven't got around to it yet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A truly spectacular tree. Great, inspiring work John! Thanks for sharing and keep up the incredible work.

timeleft

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This really is inspirational. I recently purchased a bald cypress and its very nascent still but looking at yours gives me great hope! I have been watching your youtube channels to learn as much as possible and they have really helped. Thank you!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread inspired me to go out this week and defoliate/cutback/fully wire my 5 ft monster BC that I have been developing through the help of your videos. Thanks again for the education. You have been my internet teacher for mine. I think about it as my john g tree. If I touch it I think what would john do..... I do this with trees. I have a mugo pine that is my peter tea tree, because the first time I styled it was in a work shop with him. I'm going to take it back to a work shop with him this fall to further refine it. Thanks again for the time you take to put the info out there.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to go out this week and defoliate/cutback/fully wire my 5 ft monster BC that I have been developing through the help of your videos. Thanks again for the education. You have been my internet teacher for mine. I think about it as my john g tree. If I touch it I think what would john do..... I do this with trees. I have a mugo pine that is my peter tea tree, because the first time I styled it was in a work shop with him. I'm going to take it back to a work shop with him this fall to further refine it. Thanks again for the time you take to put the info out there.

I am glad its been helpful...I have enjoyed the journey:)

Don't hold back on us...show us a picture!!

John

Top Bottom