My largest elm.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a nice start. The top half of the tree is without taper. In the end, you will have a more convincing tree if you reduce down to top leftward branch, and make this your new leader.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's going to make an awesome freaking tree! I wish I could find things like this! :( (Sigh)...

Zac

Dude. Keep your eyes peeled when you're driving around. Elms grow along the roads and the edges of forests. The best place to look for them though is along fence lines surrounding farms.
Get permission from the landowner. They usually don't like them in their fences anyway. Dig it up late winter / early spring. Cut it to the desired height right there before you commence digging. This tree was close to 10 feet tall or more when I dug it up last spring.
Go get you some!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Zac chandanais ,

along fence lines surrounding farms

This is true, farms can be replaced with, parks, parking lots, houses, lightpoles, gaurdrails, baseball diamonds, and, anywhere the wind stops blowing.

I was just in a gangway for work, there were piles of the little seed pods. (see Next Years Baby Elms)
And no short of 100 of them sprouted with a couple true leaves already.

I think it was Shaunleuw who posted the pic of the parking lot full of em. Take a look at that post. Pretty soon, the telltale overgrown whips will catch your eye EVERYWHERE!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@Zac chandanais ,

I think it was Shaunleuw who posted the pic of the parking lot full of em. Take a look at that post.

Sorce
I did see that post. It wasn't too long after that that I saw mikes lol and I was like "why don't I have a Forrest of elms near my house!!? Lol I guess I have to look harder. I actually live on a farm and have a giant American elm on the property. I did a quick walk around but apparently need to look harder. Thanks guys! I'll let you know what I find! (If anything)

Zac

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once you see one you will be able to see them evertwhere. Should be some around the big one maybe. Good luck.

Top Bottom